Silver Plate Mark Help - NS In Shield

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
guito13

Silver Plate Mark Help - NS In Shield

Post by guito13 »

Hi All,

I just finished going over the Silver Plate marks with no luck so I am turning here. If anyone knows anything about this mark it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Silver Plate Mark Help - NS In Shield

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The mark, or variations of it, we have seen several times on the forum. I think it probably one of the meaningless ones, used by a manufacturer in supplying the wholesale trade where the customer does not want the origin to be known, thus ensuring that the repeat business goes via themselves and not directly to the manufacturer.

Plater's would mark items with anything the customer requested if the order was large enough.

In your case the 'NS' likely stands for 'Nickel Silver'.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Agree about Nickel Silver, but there may be another explanation for these marks. That is, an internal code where each symbol corresponds to an alpha-numeric table and is used internally by the manufacturer to identify a client or order. A similar system, used in conducter's ticket punches, allowed for the identification of the particular person with that mark. On tableware, you might find the one mark stamped four times in a row and this looks less like an attempt to decieve than a coding system. ENIGMA all over again.
Valeria.giudici

Post by Valeria.giudici »

dognose wrote:Hi,

The mark, or variations of it, we have seen several times on the forum. I think it probably one of the meaningless ones, used by a manufacturer in supplying the wholesale trade where the customer does not want the origin to be known, thus ensuring that the repeat business goes via themselves and not directly to the manufacturer.

Plater's would mark items with anything the customer requested if the order was large enough.

In your case the 'NS' likely stands for 'Nickel Silver'.

Trev.
Hi, i have a similar Mark and i Just want to date It. Is It possibile. Ns in shield a crown, a star, a Moon and a 6 pointed star.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

Trev.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”