Australian Silverplate

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Cris

Australian Silverplate

Post by Cris »

I have a stunning signed silver horse head wine bottle stopper bearing a hand-scripted maker name on the side at the baseline, along with the small initials 'AI' or 'A1' (Silverplate) in a different location on the piece (on the nose section of the bridle). They are the only marks it bears. This piece was purchased within Australia and I believe originated here.

The maker name is hand scripted on the piece and if I have interpreted the letters correctly reads: 'C. J.', followed by a small 'v' in superscript to the immediate left of what may be the letter 'I.' (NB All full stops are included in this mark as presented here.) This is followed by the surname 'Calero'. The capital 'C' in this signature has been made more elaborate with the bottom end of the 'C' being extended horizontally below the entire surname, effectively underlining it.

It is a beautifully crafted piece of great skill that deserves a heritage.

I've tried other avenues of research without success.

Recently I found an Australian link to the surname through the name Charles Alexander Manning who travelled to Peru and had family estate and commercial interests in Peruvian silver mines (pre returning to Australia in 1854). Charles Alexander Manning's first two wives were the daughters of the Governor of Peru, a Spanish Grandee named Calero. The Calero link pops up again in a 1924 obituary for Victor Louis Calero Manning of Davilak WA (one of many Manning family properties which included Azelia Ley Homestead). The family business interests included breeding horses and at some point, a vineyard.

I may be wrong, but I believe high quality silver and silverplate was crafted in Western Australia, and also that the mark A1 was a mark used here in Australia to denote quality silverplate, so... I'm thinking it was either made in Western Australia anywhere from the mid 1800s to early 1900s. Perhaps the maker was C. J. vI Calero, or perhaps the maker just placed their initials C.J., and the superscript 'v' next to the letter 'l'' (or oblique line?) is a reference to something made specifically for the Manning family in recognition of the 'Calero' family link?

I suppose it could even have been purchased or made in Peru during a later trip by Charles Manning and brought back here (I don't think South America used the A1 mark to denote local silverplate, but due to his Peruvian links, could have been a piece that was commissioned in Peru for the Australian market).

Beyond that I'm having great difficulty and may be barking up the wrong tree.

I'm hoping someone here may have some tips or pointers. I'm happy to attach photos if needed and to contribute them to the library/references here.

Reference:

' ... Charles Alexander Manning arrived in 1854. He had spent many years in Peru supervising the family’s estate and commercial interests, especially export and silver mining pursuits. Fourteen (14) of his twenty one (21) children were born to his first two wives who were the daughters of the Governor of Peru, a Spanish Grandee named Calero. After his arrival in the Colony, Charles married for the third time to a young girl named Matilda Burkett in l855. This marriage produced seven (7) more children. ... '
URL http://www.azelialeymuseum.com.au/history/
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Australian Silverplate

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
Cris

Post by Cris »

Thanks Trev.

Below are links to photos uploaded.

All the best.

PS Thank you very much for referencing a photo website I didn’t have to first join as a member Smile

###

Silver Horse Head Wine Stopper - images

(1)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper - right view

(2)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper - scripted signature

(3)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper — left view

(4)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper - silver mark

(5)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper — extra view
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Cris,

Can you some larger images of the marks?

Trev.
Cris

Post by Cris »

So sorry Trev - been a bit busy and just now saw your response.

I uploaded the pics again this morning, and hope these pics of the signature and mark will be sufficiently clear.

(2)
Horse Head Wine Bottle Stopper - scripted signature
(b) Image

(4)
Horse Image
Head Wine Bottle Stopper - silver mark
(b)

All the best.
Louis Calero Clarke

Post by Louis Calero Clarke »

Hi Cris,
This is fascinating for me, as my mother's maiden name is Manning and I am a direct descendant of Charles Alexander. I'm guessing that the v l stands for Victor Louis Calero - my namesake. I have access to a wealth of information on the Manning family, and am very interested in pursuing the history of this piece further.

Regards,
Louis
Cris

Post by Cris »

Dear Louis, So sorry for the (5 year) delay in response.

My initial research led me to believe the maker was possibly CJ Vander Ltd (original business started by Cornelius Joshua Vanderpump 1837-1904), due to the C. J. vl. - however - the punctuation is more suggestive the vl is attached to the 'Calero' part of the mark.

In 1886 Cornelius Joshua VanderPump (name changed to Vander) was a silversmith artisan and flatware (utensils/cutlery) maker – eminent London silversmith - high quality English silver - from late 19th century to throughout most of the 20th century (sold in 1996 to Syratech Corporation).

POSSIBLE COMMISSIONED PIECE: For family ‘Calero’. The small ‘vl’ preceding Calero – could very well stand for ‘Victor Louis’ Calero, however; I felt this was less likely as Victor’s full name (the name he used) was Victor Louis Calero Manning – Victor manning, 29 Jul 1883 – 4 Nov 1935, aged 52).

So a question mark remains.

Thank you for your interest and I am truly sorry about the delay in response - had one of my computer crashes around that time - my only excuse.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”