German silverware (but not silver) question.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
batmick

German silverware (but not silver) question.

Post by batmick »

Hello,
I know this is probably not the right forum but I am hoping one of the silver collectors will be able to answer my question.
We have inherited a complete set of silverware from around 1930. The history we know about it is that it is one of the very first sets made of stainless steel. My grandparents in law used to own a hardware and tableware store and bought this from a sales rep.

The pieces are stamped with a pyramid sign that contains a + and the word "Nirosta".
On the knife blades it reads "Gottlieb Hammesfahr, Solingen, Foche".

My question: Does anybody collect this or should it be treated as scrap metal?

Thank you for your input and advice!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, before You scrap this, post a pic of the pattern. There are two patterns by Hammesfahr that are being sought after. In any case: it is impossible to tell the early 1920ies-Hammesfahr stuff from the pieces produced in the 1930ies or 1940ies. Hammesfahr was indeed the first to make stainless-steel blades and stainless-steel cutlery in Germany after WW I. The company had a monopoly on this for about 10 years. Best wishes, Bahner
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Even if it is not a "desireable" pattern, why would you want to scrap a stainless set. Any old complete flatware set has more value than scrap. If the aesthetics don't appeal to you, they may well appeal to another.
Regards, Tom
batmick

Post by batmick »

admin wrote:Even if it is not a "desireable" pattern, why would you want to scrap a stainless set. Any old complete flatware set has more value than scrap. If the aesthetics don't appeal to you, they may well appeal to another.
Regards, Tom
Hello Tom and Bahner,

I sure chose the wrong term with the "scrap metal", sorry! Thank you for the advice! We have no intentions of throwing the set out. We are just going through piles of stuff from the estate of my late parents in law and need to figure out what to keep and what to sell. If there were no collectors for this type of silverware, we would probably use it as a "backup" set for parties etc.

I will take some pictures tonight and add them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Batmick,
Touchy subject this week with silver so high. Fine antique pieces and, no doubt, some irreplaceable treasures are being tossed into the melting pot as we speak. When I think of Georgian snuffboxes and Biedermeier master salts being melted down to be reincarnated as panda bear shaped bracelet charms, it makes me a little crazy.
Tom
batmick

Post by batmick »

OK, I took a picture of a few pieces I just grabbed and a closeup of the mark on one of the knives.

Let me know what you think. Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pattern #1081 by designed by Karl Gross ca. 1931. Examples of the pattern are in the collection of the Brohan Museum of Berlin. Do a google search (Hammesfahr nirosta 1081) for more info and more images. Nice set.
Regards, Tom
Cathy Raphael

Re: German silverware (but not silver) question.

Post by Cathy Raphael »

We have the exact same stainless - brought by my husband's mother in 1939 when leaving Germany. Actually I really like it - I think the spoons are quite rare. I LOVE the forks. Ours says on it exactly what yours does. but now we should have a set of 6 place settings (minus 2 teaspoons). My husband loves the knives - even tho a few have been damaged somehow on the handles (they are hollow). My husband's family came from Essen, Germany.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”