Enameled flask ,country? age/

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
gsmoggy

Enameled flask ,country? age/

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

Not sure if this flask is suitable for this section? I am interested if anyone has seen a similar one? and what country it may have been made in ?and what period? Looks to be electroplated gold on brass.
The image is after original painting "Mars Disarmed by Venus and the Three Graces 1824" Jacques-Louis David (1748-1825)
The main image transfer printed ,hand painted surround and back.

would be interested in any thoughts. no marks.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Enameled flask ,country? age/

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Transfer printed (silk) similar to pottery transfer printing invented in late 18th century (e.g. J.Wedgwood).
I see no reason to be interested in unmarked metal.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
Many thanks for your comments,you are entitled to your opinion re unmarked metal,not sure if you are putting unmarked silver in that category,
the value difference in the same item, brass ,silver is so negligible ,It seems you are not interested in the artistic value.
I am sure you will find many unmarked metal (as you like to say)items in museum collections and also plenty of silver items unmarked also in collections all over the world.I do not know what you think they should do with those items.
I am not sure where fake marks come into your equation may be you feel they okay because they are silver.
As I have said before I like to enjoy an item for the artistic enjoyment and not because of the marks only. My original question
was where was it made and has anyone seen a similar one before,is what I would like to know?

I am happy for you not to be interested in unmarked metal,that is your choice.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Excuse my comment, please.
I was referring only to this particular transfer printed piece.
Hand painted enamel would be another story, regardless of metal; although, there is huge difference (e.g. brass and copper cowrie shell snuff boxes versus fully marked silver snuffs of the same period).
Regarding ``unmarked metal`` I love it (e.g. French ormolu bronze and Vienna cold painted bronze, although the latter is better if marked by Bergmann).
No misunderstanding, you know I am always very helpful here.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi AG
Thanks for you comments.
No problem, I am sorry I probably should not have posted the flask.
Here in Australia ,the most locked down country in the world ,life is getting a bit boring trying to occupy our lives.

Has you probably know the flask is not my most valuable item in my collection ,just really posted it for something to do.
I do realize transfer printing is not the same as hand painted enamel,you have seen some of my hand painted enamel pieces.
I still find the flask interesting ,although not super valuable.
this is a great forum for expressing our thoughts.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”