Chile coat of arms ashtray

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Dael69

Chile coat of arms ashtray

Post by Dael69 »

Maybe is not made in Chile, maybe is not even silver :/ This is the mark I found "900 SINN"

Ill appreciate any info about this old item.

Dael69

Re: Chile coat of arms ashtray

Post by Dael69 »

Found out "SINN" could be for Louis Ernest Sinn Baliman, born in Switzerland who was consul in Chile and who represented several fine jewelry and watch companies aroun 1873. See http://www.sinn.cl/historia.htm. There is a "mistake" in the coat of arms, there is a horse instead of a huemul a mistake made by several artists that didnt know about the Huemul. See http://www.idtg.org/archive/tag/coat-of-arms-of-chile/
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

I didnt find anything else about "SINN". It would be nice to find another item marked with that word. The plate or ashtray is extremely heavy for its size. I showed it to my friend from Chile and he inmediatly noticed the mistake with the Huemul-Horse design and also he pointed that the words "República of Chile" in the plate are also wrong, it should be "Por la fuerza o la razón" because thats what the actual coat of arms has.

This is a pic of the coat of arms in the plate:

I already wrote a letter to "Casa SINN" hoping to ID the plate.

Best regards,
Elías C.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Elías,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your mention that the item is "extremely heavy for its size" rings alarm bells. In German the word for pewter is 'Zinn', and I wondering if the item is in fact silver. Pewter quality in some countries is represented by the percentage of tin that in contains, usually around 90% and the '900' may be a decimal expression of that. Just speculating of course, and I hope I'm proved wrong, but it may be worthwhile getting the metal tested, at least it may dismiss the above.

Trev.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

That would explain why I cant find anything about "900 SINN". I hope it is not Zinc alloy but I still believe it is very old item. Will bring it for a silver test next week, thanks a lot for the advice.

It is 65mm diameter, a little more than 1mm thick and weights 61.0 grams
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Trev's right as usual. I've encountered this myself a few times. This guy really does have a dog's nose for sniffing out the facts.

Return to “Silver of the Americas - Single Image”