Heirloom ladle from Scottish family

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
dross1914

Heirloom ladle from Scottish family

Post by dross1914 »

We have a ladle spoon that has been handed down from at least 1852 in our family. The only marking on the back says T C Coit. We have been unable to locate any record of such a company and are trying to find out about how old the spoon is or from where it may have originated. Anyone familar with T C Coit. The ladle appears to have been hammered out and the flat handle seems to have been attached at the back of the bowl with some type of brad or pin which was melted and molded into place.
ckingree

Post by ckingree »

One mark usually means American silver, sorry it didn't truly come from Scottland. The Coit name is listed in my book for a Thomas Chester Coit Norwich, Conn. 1812 (T.C.C. script in a box) But I am not a professional and I can't explain why the last name on you ladle is spelled out; also I am not sure what type style it is in - in 1816 there was a business called Coit & Mansfield (C&M in a box) - then there was E. Coit in 1839 (E.COIT in a box) all from Norwich, Connecticut. I would assume that your ladle is from around 1812-1815, but I am not sure how long TC COIT was in business and whether he changed his mark. Hope this helped, Christina

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”