German 800 mark without crescent moon & crown

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AllSeasons

German 800 mark without crescent moon & crown

Post by AllSeasons »

My understanding of the more recent German hallmark system comes from this paragraph from this site:

I came across a mark that doesn't quite conform to this system and has stumped me. It has the 800 mark and what I believe to be the Bruckmann & Sohne eagle mark. However, it does not have the usual crescent moon and crown, which became compulsory after 1888. I think I read somewhere else, though, that the crescent moon and crown were optional, but to me, it really behooves the manufacturer to include it as proof of silver content, if it's indeed solid silver, so I don't know why a silversmith would choose not stamp it as such.

My other theory is that perhaps this was made sometime between 1884 and 1888, when things were a little ambiguous and in transition. If the 800 minimum became law in 1884, that would explain the 800 mark, but if the crescent moon/crown requirement didn't become law until after 1888, they weren't required to use it until then. That would explain why it had the Bruckmann mark and 800, but not the crescent moon/crown. But, it's just a theory of mine, and I await the expert opinions of those who know much more about this topic than I.

Any light anyone could help shed on this would be appreciated.

Below is an image of the mark. Thank you in advance.

Bahner
contributor

Re: German 800 mark without crescent moon & crown

Post by Bahner »

Hello, incomplete sets of German marks can be found from time to time and have no special significance. It just was not done properly. The Bruckmann eagle seems to have the form used (to my knowledge) after 1918, a pic of the object might tell more. Regards, Bahner
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you! I just purchased it. Here're a couple of images of the item:

Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Aaaah, Warhol and silver - what a combination ! The bowl might even be a design from the Fifties. Regards, Bahner
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Bahner wrote:Aaaah, Warhol and silver - what a combination ! The bowl might even be a design from the Fifties. Regards, Bahner
Very interesting! Thank you!

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”