Who is this Russian Silversmith 'S.T', 'A.K over 1832'

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Silvermania

Who is this Russian Silversmith 'S.T', 'A.K over 1832'

Post by Silvermania »

I've looked through the Russian Silversmith initials on line, but can't find an 'S.T'??
The 'A.K' - 'A' is more of an inverted 'V', is over '1832', and possibly a Moscow city mark.
The marks are on the back of some tea spoons which have a large shell shaped design to the bottom of the handle.
Really grateful for any assistance please.
Silvermania

Re: Who is this Russian Silversmith 'S.T', 'A.K over 1832'

Post by Silvermania »

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

HI,
MInd my asking 1832!? Anyway, the first mark from left is the maker's mark (ST is unfortunately unknown to name to me) The second mark is Cyrillic ЛК (Latin LK) above the assaying year (1831/51 in my eyes). That is the initials of the assayer Leonty Petrovich Kaminsky active in St Petersburg 1831-1857. The third mark is the silver fineness/purity 84 zolotniki and the last mark is the town mark of St. Petersburg. However, the outlook of the fineness mark bothers me a bit...suspicious mind you see! Please show another spoon's marks and the whole spoon, thank you!
Silvermania

Post by Silvermania »

Qrt.S wrote:HI,
MInd my asking 1832!? Anyway, the first mark from left is the maker's mark (ST is unfortunately unknown to name to me) The second mark is Cyrillic ЛК (Latin LK) above the assaying year (1831/51 in my eyes). That is the initials of the assayer Leonty Petrovich Kaminsky active in St Petersburg 1831-1857. The third mark is the silver fineness/purity 84 zolotniki and the last mark is the town mark of St. Petersburg. However, the outlook of the fineness mark bothers me a bit...suspicious mind you see! Please show another spoon's marks and the whole spoon, thank you!
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. Some of the marks were better on this spoon, than on others. I will upload another example (1832 is more clear on others).
Silvermania

Post by Silvermania »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

In a word, suspicious. But why bothrer with spoons ?
Show us all marks and spoons.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

OK, thank you, 1831 or 1832 makes no difference. Meanwhile, I tried to find this ST. Unfortunately with poor result only one prospect found, a Finn Simon Tiitain 1821-1833 but....???? Let's wait if somebody else has a a better suggestion. It must be a foreigner due to the "S" in the mark. However, I'm still a bit suspicious.

Could you please clean the mark on your second picture. For now it is impossible to see what it shows, thank you in advance.
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

In my experience due to the hundreds and thousands of polishing the marks tend to flatten to some kind of missformed numbers like pancake which is the case here so they don't resemble so well the original markings. This is very typical especially on flatware.

Thereby in my opinion i don't see any issues so the spoons are genuine.

Regards,
Juke
Silvermania

Post by Silvermania »

Thank you all, and many thanks to Juke also, they have been in one family a very long time, and it seems unlikely they would be copies.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”