Maker & Origin of Box

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
dartsil
contributor

Maker & Origin of Box

Post by dartsil »

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone knows the maker of this box, simply marked 800 and a makers mark, hopefully if maker is known from that I will get origin and a rough idea of the date, I am guessing maybe 1920's or 30's

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Colin

AG2012
contributor

Re: Maker & Origin of Box

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think the same (partially struck) mark is here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58582
Regards
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Thanks,

I agree same mark/maker and I notice that the maker was not identified.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Gebruder Reiner, Bayern, Germany.
Compare with the box with ivory plaque in previous post.
Marks: GR (intertwined), 800

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Gebruder Reiner, Bayern, Germany.
Marks: GR (intertwined), 800
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Brilliant thanks. Thats the maker alright.

I believe plaque is very similar on this one you show and like the one I posted on a previous post.

Regards,
Colin
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
I have let the owner know that you have found her mark,It looks to me that her mark may be an earlier mark (first mark,1910)as it differs from the other marks after 1914.
It does look like the same marker.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
We need more open minded approach when dealing with things like this: carving ivory was widespread as well as carving cameos and coral (e.g. in southern Italy) and the trade flourished a the time, even as early as 18th century. There is wrong perception that states, regions and towns were confined within their feudal borders.
In a word, it was perfectly normal for e.g. German or French silversmiths (goldsmith) to buy cameos and ivory in Italy if the prices were convenient and the import was profitable.
Regards
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, I most strongly doubt that this is a Reiner mark. I do not see a ligated GR here, rather a CR or LR. Plus the genuine Reiner GR looks quite different. And I seriously doubt that Reiner ever made objects like this. But Reiner is still active in Krumbach, the company can be easily found on the internet and long-time owner R. Liebenberg will be happy to answer questions concerning the company's history. Regards, Bahner
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello
I feel there is a chance Bahner may be correct,after my post yesterday ,I was thinking about the Reiner mark,and I wondered why the crown and crescent moon are not there? is this unusual that they are missing ? and I also mentioned that the mark looked different to the 1914 mark online.And felt it may have been his first mark (which may or may not be correct)

As for your comments AG re ivory carvings I agree as I have always said we are not sure where these ivory carvings were done ,my point was they they were probably not always made by the box makers themselves .

There may still be a chance that it is an Italian box. (Reiner box)

Regards Guido.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the first Reiner mark is believed to be the letters J and R left and right of an anvil, the second mark used before 1914 is the Bavarian lion, sittig on top of the coat of arms of the Krumbach region. So no similiarities here. That halfmoon and crown are missing happens on German pieces and is inconclusive. So I believe that at this point the matter of origin is still undecided. Regards, Bahner
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Bahner
Thanks for clearing that up about Reiner's first marks.Contacting the company would probably settle the issue.

Regards Guido.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”