Need help identifying AUGSBURG makersmark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mglangeveld

Need help identifying AUGSBURG makersmark

Post by mglangeveld »

Hello,

I am currently restoring a large object of which the owner does not yet want me to publish pictures of. (its a kind of furniture)
It is tought to be made in Augsburg around 1700. I need help to identify the makersmark as i have currently no acces to
a library (due to Covid19).

We found several marks for Augsburg and makersmarks IB. Any help is much appreciated.

city mark for Augsburg can it be dated?

Makersmark to identify:

thanks for your response, Michiel Langeveld
Theoderich
contributor

Re: Need help identifying AUGSBURG makersmark

Post by Theoderich »

looks like an other variation of the mark of
Johann Bartermann (I) (no1874), born in Danzig 1661, master ca.1693 oo1694+1732

hallmark is from 1792-97 (#1080)
mglangeveld

Post by mglangeveld »

Hello Theodorich,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me in which publication you found these hallmarks?
If from Johann Bartermann I (1693-1732) a citymark from 1792-97 seems odd. Do you have an explanation for that?

regards,

Michiel
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
If the maker is correct I see no problem with Augsburg acorn of this form being within the period of his activity. Later 18th century acorn was completely different.
Regards
mglangeveld

Post by mglangeveld »

Alltough the attibution to Johann Bartermann is also found elswhere
I found a similar object in the collection of the kunstgewerbe museum in Dresden.
It seems to have he same hallmark, but is said to be made by Barianter Hosenmann.
While in an online version of the Marc Rosenberg Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen it is said to be the mark for Johannes Biller (#346)
I am a bit lost here. Who has a copy of the 2007 book on Augsburg Sillversmiths and can take a look (and a picture?) maybe this mark can be found there....(Seling, Helmut. Die Augsburger Gold- und Silberschmiede 1529-1868)

https://skd-online-collection.skd.museu ... dex/328637

mglangeveld

Post by mglangeveld »

Alltough the attibution to Johann Bartermann is also found elswhere
I found a similar object in the collection of the kunstgewerbe museum in Dresden.
It seems to have he same hallmark, but is said to be made by Barianter Hosenmann.
While in an online version of the Marc Rosenberg Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen it is said to be the mark for Johannes Biller (#346)
I am a bit lost here. Who has a copy of the 2007 book on Augsburg Sillversmiths and can take a look (and a picture?) maybe this mark can be found there....(Seling, Helmut. Die Augsburger Gold- und Silberschmiede 1529-1868)

https://skd-online-collection.skd.museu ... dex/328637

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”