I wonder who the silversmith is?

Best regards

Per

AG2012
contributor

Re: Spoon from Denmark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Letter in the middle is damaged: is it P.J.C. ?
If so, the maker is Poul John Clausen.
Can you identify the year ?
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I in turn would be very grateful if you clean the marks and polish the object before presenting it here for identification!. Moreover, since you seem to like silver, you should know that silver shall always shine like the full moon. That would help a lot. As it is for now, the year is invisible the same goes for the guardein (hall-)mark. Do me i favour and fulfill my humble request. Then show the new pictures with clean marks. It would also be nice to see the whole object.
Thank you in advance.

@AG2012
In my eyes the tarnish mark looks like PLC, but....? Let's wait for the new pictures. The year and the guradein would help, but as said.....
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Hello!

Thank you so much for the answers. Unfortunately, I can not polish the spoons, as it is out for auction. I will return when I have hopefully won the auction.

Happy New Year!

Best regards

Per
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@PW333abc

Thank you. Happy New Year to you too.
The spoon is genuine, no question about that, but the marks can not be interpreted due the tarnish on the marks.
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Hello!

I won the spoon at the auction. So now it's plastered. The silversmith is Simon Groth, made in 1873 (Copenhagen?). What I wonder is what PLC can be for stamp? I can imagine the following: 1. Is it the company that sold the spoons that had that initial? Or are they the silversmith's initials and Simon is the analysis master?

Best regards

Per

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, my good man, Simon Groth is the guardein i.e. the assayer. He is an official who only guarantees the legal silver fineness. He has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the spoon. PLC is the maker's mark. Unfortunately unknown to me
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Qrt.S wrote:Yes, my good man, Simon Groth is the guardein i.e. the assayer. He is an official who only guarantees the legal silver fineness. He has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the spoon. PLC is the maker's mark. Unfortunately unknown to me
Hello!

Thank you very much for the answer.

Best regards

Per

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”