Silversmith ID-snuff box

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
madej

Silversmith ID-snuff box

Post by madej »

Hello .
The assayer is Nikolay Dubrovin (1822-1855 Moscow) Who will be the silversmith? At PL, such marks are #2961 and #2962, however, it only fits 2961 after the period of activity. Or is it someone else?
Regards
ImageImage
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Silversmith ID-snuff box

Post by Qrt.S »

Kindly show the whole object. I'm a bit suspicious about it. It smells like fake...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

No town mark at all ? Why is that ?
madej

Post by madej »

Hi.
The snuff box is for sure real. I provide a photo of the mark of town (Moscow)
Regards

madej

Post by madej »

Hello again.
So can it be said that it will be a silversmith in PL #2961 or do you know someone else?
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

First of all, it is of upmost importance to always show all mark and if possible also pictures of the object. Here you can see what might happen, when that is not done...!. Your new pictures change the situation completely because now the set of marks is complete. A missing mark is always a red flag!
Secondly, P#2961 mark differs quite a lot from the mark on your object, a centralized dot, different font.... I would not insist on the maker being Maksimov but you can assume it. Anyway, according to the text in P. he made cigarette cases, but ? I tried to find a suitable master, but unfortunately I didn't.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Федор Максимов, мастер из Москвы (Fedor Maksimov, Moscow master).
Typical niello made by him in the thirties, 19th century.
Discussed on Russian forum; no doubt whatsoever.
Regards

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@AG2012

OK hyvä juttu, se on sitten Maksimov. Postnikovan kuva on huono tai sitten Maksimovilla on ollut monta leimaa, mikä tietysti on täysin mahdollista.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Arghhh!!! Sorry AG2012
Same in English, OK fine, case clear . The picture in Postnikova is "bad" or Maksimov must have used several punches.
madej

Post by madej »

Hi guys.
Thank you for your answer. I am glad that the silversmith has been confirmed.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Dear Qrt.S,
There was an info by Trev in regard of London leopard`s head with distorted facial expression; the engraver was struggling with failing eyesight and was replaced.
I think it also worth noting, is the huge amount of punches that were supplied to the LAO by the engraver, in 1820 John Smith was recorded as supplying nearly 500 punches annually to the Company.
500 punches annually !
Of course, London was huge and busy assay office, but I am sure that main Russian assay offices must have had hundreds different punches. And individual silversmiths definitively had more than one punch.
Meaning, variations with marks are acceptable and legitimate if everything else is correct.
Have a peaceful night

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”