Unknown hallmark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
amena
contributor

Unknown hallmark

Post by amena »

Dear friends
I saw this nautilus cup on online auction.
It is described as 19th century Italian, but the mark shown, as far as I know, is not an Italian mark.
Does anyone recognize this hallmark?
To tell the truth, it is not even absolutely certain that the frame is solid silver, since it is explained that it has been "tested with the relevant and official contrast acids" (sic), but the acid was applied to the surface without having filed it.
Thanks in advance
Amena
amena
contributor

Re: Unknown hallmark

Post by amena »

Incredible coincidence
Same auction site, same seller. Another nautilus cup with the same mark
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Well
85 people have already read this post , including, I must assume, experts in all kinds of European silver.
If no one has identified a hallmark, or a silversmith's mark, it is reasonable to assume that the photo I posted is most likely a pseudo mark, and this is a good result.
Thank you all.
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi Amena,
Your second post was very helpful; well, both nautilus shells look new (I mean, the shell itself).Compare with many nautilus conchiglia offered online.
Shells of whatever kind change their appearance and they age, being exposed to air and light, acquiring yellowish tint. Moreover. they show signs of wear often similar to so called age cracks seen in very old pottery (majolica).
The same process of natural ``ageing`` can be observed in ivory and tortoiseshell.
This is my Georgian cowry shell snuff box to see what happens to the shell after 200 years.
Besides, filigree work in second example is overall esthetically very poor mounting particularly with this coral rose.
I suspect the base (foot) of the first example is taken from elsewhere and married to create the mounting of the cup, because it`s embossed and much better than the rest of the mounting.
Those facts really indicate fantasy marks I have never seen, either.
Reviewing all seller`s items is very helpful because they are often betrayed by several identical or similar pieces supposedly centuries old, which is statistically impossible.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Ag2012 for your considerations.
I am convinced that the two cups could be of Sicilian manufacture and that the fantasy mark intends to remember the Sicilian hallmark at the time of the reign of the two Sicilies. Probably artifacts from the early 1900s
Best
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

So, it is supposed to be 834/000 fineness ?
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I don't think you can assume the fineness of an alloy from a fantasy mark that has no official value. I think whoever affixed it may have used any mixture, even less than 800/000.
I've found a silver tray bearing a Milanese/Venetian mimicking mark made of an alloy of less than 700/000.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Right, sometimes I overrate fakers, they are far from being perfect, otherwise their fakes would be dangerous, fortunately most of the time they are not.
Have a nice evening
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

when you look at the work - the edge I am convinces its nor even silver. A skilled silver smith would have the edge follow the shell not these openings.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”