French Silver Maker? Fiddle Thread Silver Set

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
EMsilver21

French Silver Maker? Fiddle Thread Silver Set

Post by EMsilver21 »

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me on this silver set. I used your site as best I could. I think the head mark means it is 950 silver because of the 1 in the upper right corner, but what is the meaning if any of the blob under the chin? Also, I would like to know the maker? I can’t read the name, especially the first few letters. So I can’t look up the maker in a book, which I don’t have anyway…

Thanks!

Elaine

JayT
contributor

Re: French Silver Maker? Fiddle Thread Silver Set

Post by JayT »

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Quite right, the Minerva head in an octagonal reserve indicates 950 standard silver, and the maker’s name is in the lozenge-shaped reserve. The “blob” under Minerva’s chin is a symbol indicating the province where your set was manufactured. Unfortunately your images are too blurry on my monitor to tell you more than that.
Good luck in your research on this item.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Although I have never been able to identify him - the Bordeaux état civil are pretty daunting! - I recognize the mark as that of E. Maitraeau of Bordeaux, listed at various addresses on rue St. Martin and rue St. Sernin from 1856 to 1885.
EMsilver21

Post by EMsilver21 »

JayT wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum!
Quite right, the Minerva head in an octagonal reserve indicates 950 standard silver, and the maker’s name is in the lozenge-shaped reserve. The “blob” under Minerva’s chin is a symbol indicating the province where your set was manufactured. Unfortunately your images are too blurry on my monitor to tell you more than that.
Good luck in your research on this item.
Thank you for the warm welcome and reply! Good information, excellent, thanks!
I apologize for the quality of the photo. The marks are SO tiny, and I'm afraid its as legible in the photo as it is in person...
EMsilver21

Post by EMsilver21 »

blakstone wrote:Although I have never been able to identify him - the Bordeaux état civil are pretty daunting! - I recognize the mark as that of E. Maitraeau of Bordeaux, listed at various addresses on rue St. Martin and rue St. Sernin from 1856 to 1885.
Oh excellent, thank you so much! And yes, ha, kudos to anyone who can comb through old records and make heads or tails of them.

WOW, this set is old, what a treasure.

Thanks very much!

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”