Question for Dad

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Goldstein
contributor

Question for Dad

Post by Goldstein »

On a P. Ovtschinnikov spoon´s stem is the following mark:

Is this the crippled assay mark PL # 2016 (1873-1877)?
Stand the BC mark for Viktor Savinsky (1859-1894) or is it from the spoon maker BC Semenov Wasilij?

Thank you for your time.
Dad
contributor

Re: Question for Dad

Post by Dad »

Hi,

ВС - Vasiliy Semenov

Assay mark - Moscow 187.. like this:

I am not a seer, but with probability of 90 percent I can assume that your spoon is similar to these:

Similar spoons for Ovchinnikov's shops (as well as other silver ware with a similar carving and niello) was produced by Vasily Semenov's workshop. Peak of cooperation 1872-1878.

P.S. Assayer Viktor Savinsky (1859-1894) is mythological character. Such assayer never was in Moscow.

Best Reg..
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Dad wrote: P.S. Assayer Viktor Savinsky (1859-1894) is mythological character. Such assayer never was in Moscow.
@Dad
??? Are you serious? To my understanding Viktor Savinsky was Veniamin's brother. Don't you mean Viktor Savinkov P#2112
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Qrt.S wrote:
Dad wrote: P.S. Assayer Viktor Savinsky (1859-1894) is mythological character. Such assayer never was in Moscow.
@Dad
??? Are you serious? To my understanding Viktor Savinsky was Veniamin's brother. Don't you mean Viktor Savinkov P#2112
Sorry. Of course ))

Of course I wrote about a mistake in the book of P.-L.: about Victor Savinkov.

Brothers Veniamin and Victor Savinskiy are real assayers who worked at the Moscow office.
Once again I apologize for a "mere chance". ))
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

#Dad
Huh! you almost scared my pants off :-)))))
Anyway, while you are there could you explain how it is possible that both Viktor and his brother Veniamin assayed i Moscow as follows

Viktor 1856-1894 (depending on the source)
Veniamin 1862-1875 (as well depending on the source)

That means that between 1862-1875 they both assayed in Moscow the same years using the same characters BC. How is that possible? How can you separate which one it is?
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Dad -
thank you very much! I appreciate your profound knowledge.

Qrt.S -
thank you for hijacking my thread!
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Qrt.S wrote:#Dad
Huh! you almost scared my pants off :-)))))
Anyway, while you are there could you explain how it is possible that both Viktor and his brother Veniamin assayed i Moscow as follows

Viktor 1856-1894 (depending on the source)
Veniamin 1862-1875 (as well depending on the source)

That means that between 1862-1875 they both assayed in Moscow the same years using the same characters BC. How is that possible? How can you separate which one it is?
Hi, Qrt.S

I didn't assume that you such timid ))

In it there is nothing unusual.
The Moscow assay office served the biggest market of silver and gold products in Russia. Therefore so many experts worked here. When Victor and Veniamin worked together in the Moscow assay office, Victor's position was "younger probirer" against Veniamin's position - "senior probirer".
Of course, the "younger probirer" marked the products more, but also and "senior probirer" sometimes participated in a punching.
Whose punch on a subject we could learn only from office records. But they didn't remain. And it isn't important. It was important to determine the city mark. Therefore in next time in the "kokoshnik mark" was kept the city sign, but the initials of a probirer are absent.
Moreover. With 1872 on 1874 at the Moscow assay office one more ВС worked. Vladimir Smirnov. He too had own punch. He could sometimes to help. When there was a lot of work. ))
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Could we sew together the Vasili Semenov spoons into one thread?

(accessing image software, back shortly)
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Possible Vasili Semenov Spoon:

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”