Cigarette Case

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
techsol
contributor

Cigarette Case

Post by techsol »

Hi,

I have taken this image of a very small mark on the inside of a cigarette case. It comprises a 935 std mark along with the initials AK. My guess is it's probably Swiss, but I would be grateful for others opinions and any help in identifying the maker.

Regards,
Martin.

Bahner
contributor

Re: Cigarette Case

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is an Austrian export mark used between 1921 and 1926. The number stands for the fineness, the initials are those of the exporter, who might not be identical with the maker. Best wishes, Bahner
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my saying but I have a little different information regarding this Austrian export/responsibility mark on valuable metals. The period would be from 1925 to 2001 when this mark was discontinued. The initials are particularly the maker's i.e. a self-applied manufacture's punch. (Well of course the manufacturer could also be the exporter but not always...).

The previous export mark was the caduceus with winged Mercury cap (1922-1925) Punching it and later the mark in question on an object meant for export made the object exempt from domestic taxes and made it as well illegal for trade in Austria.

Please don't ask me who the maker is. i haven't the faintest idea. Austrian makers marks are not my cup of tea but hallmarks are.
techsol
contributor

Post by techsol »

Many thanks for the information guys.

Regards,
Martin.
Aambro

Post by Aambro »

Hello, has the OP managed to find the maker's name?

I have a 14k gold cigarette case that bears the same maker's mark, see here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... AK#p116910
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Dear Aambro!
As you can see, this is not a maker's mark, but an austrian export mark.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Aambro

Post by Aambro »

What then does AK stand for? Qrt.S said AK applies to the maker, does it not?

Best regards,
Peter
huszas76 wrote:Dear Aambro!
Best regards!
Krisztián
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Qrt.S wrote:Mind my saying but I have a little different information regarding this Austrian export/responsibility mark on valuable metals. The period would be from 1925 to 2001 when this mark was discontinued. The initials are particularly the maker's i.e. a self-applied manufacture's punch. (Well of course the manufacturer could also be the exporter but not always...).

The previous export mark was the caduceus with winged Mercury cap (1922-1925) Punching it and later the mark in question on an object meant for export made the object exempt from domestic taxes and made it as well illegal for trade in Austria.

Please don't ask me who the maker is. i haven't the faintest idea. Austrian makers marks are not my cup of tea but hallmarks are.
Sorry I cannot seem to get this draft into my latest post,Re "Austrian Export Mark" .Questions ,section.
This quote seems to answer my question ,that the letters are that of the maker or exporter ,probably the same thing.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Aambro wrote:What then does AK stand for? Qrt.S said AK applies to the maker, does it not?

Best regards,
Peter
huszas76 wrote:Dear Aambro!
Best regards!
Krisztián
It seems even at the time of this post ,there was some confusion and different opinions about the mark.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The closest info was given by Qrt.S (see above).
There was well documented Mercury export mark depicted in Tardy page 77, alongside hoopoe bird of the same period.
Then, irregular polygon mark with various initials depicted here, supporting the conclusion by Qrt.S.
Why would Klinkosch bother to apply his well known maker`s marks twice and then again JCK in irregular polygon, if the mark far left was not meant to prove the item was for export ?
That`s the only indirect proof we have, based on assumption and logic, not on any reference,though.
There is no reference when Mercury mark was replaced (if ever) with irregular polygon and initials within it.
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, for your information an Austrian export responsibility mark;

Peter.

Source; World Hallmarks Volume I Europe 19th to 21st Centuries William B. Whetstone, Danusia V. Niklewicz, Lindy L. Matula
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Thanks Peter,
That was needed; valid reference.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
The closest info was given by Qrt.S (see above).
There was well documented Mercury export mark depicted in Tardy page 77, alongside hoopoe bird of the same period.
Then, irregular polygon mark with various initials depicted here, supporting the conclusion by Qrt.S.
Why would Klinkosch bother to apply his well known maker`s marks twice and then again JCK in irregular polygon, if the mark far left was not meant to prove the item was for export ?
That`s the only indirect proof we have, based on assumption and logic, not on any reference,though.
There is no reference when Mercury mark was replaced (if ever) with irregular polygon and initials within it.
Regards
Thanks very much AG for the info.
This seems to confirm ,what I originally was trying to say, all a long to Bahner's original comment ,that it was an exporters mark,and may not be the maker. In my opinion was not correct. (that it was the maker&exporter same company).

If there was a different makers mark in your example,I would have thought Bahner was correct.

Many thanks for clearing up my query,much appreciated.

Kind regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

oel wrote:Hi, for your information an Austrian export responsibility mark;

Peter.

Source; World Hallmarks Volume I Europe 19th to 21st Centuries William B. Whetstone, Danusia V. Niklewicz, Lindy L. Matula
Hello Peter
Many thanks for the info on the Austrian Export mark.

Just a question if I may?
The fact that my box by Leo Wagner does not have the Candceus Mercury cap mark, and only the irregular polygon with LW initials ,sterling only.

Does this now date the box to around 1925 ,and not 1920 as first suggested before?

probably does not matter either way ,interested in your thoughts.

Kind Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Guido,
Yes, in my opinion, your box was made in or after 1925, no domestic stamp duty was paid and the box was exported by Leo Wagner.

Peter.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Peter
Many thanks for your reply, what you say makes sense, Although as Bahner states the mark on my box was used 1921-26,The Mercury cap mark used 1922-25.
both marks in same period. A bit confusing.

So in theory my box could be as early as 1921. If Bahner is correct. Very short windows for both marks used. As we know English marks a lot more accurate.

Strange this mark is not in the Austrian Hallmarks section of the forum.

Appreciate your assistance.

Kind Regards Guido.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”