When and where was made a salt shaker (mark as a sailboat?)?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Elena Russ

When and where was made a salt shaker (mark as a sailboat?)?

Post by Elena Russ »

Hello!
Can you tell me, please, it is possible to date and define the master of the salt shaker with these hallmarks?
Thank you in advance!

oel
co-admin

Re: When and where was made a salt shaker (mark as a sailboat?)?

Post by oel »

Hi Elena,
Is it a salt shaker, or open salt cellar?
These are Dutch pseudo marks, see Schoonhoven:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56948#p184837
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56948
The mark far right is the first Dutch sword mark used 1814- 1905: The sword (used1814-1905) and 2nd sword mark used 1906-1953. Standard mark for; small work silver minimum 833 fineness= 83.3% pure silver and used on small work without date letter and office mark and in combination with maker's mark. NB. This sword mark also used on large work consisting of more than three parts interconnected by links or hinges. On these objects the office mark, standard mark and date letter were spread, one per part, the remaining parts were struck with the sword mark.

Regards, Peter.
Elena Russ

Re: When and where was made a salt shaker (mark as a sailboat?)?

Post by Elena Russ »

Dear Peter!

As always, thanks for the help and the most detailed information! My salt shaker is open (height 3 cm, top diameter 4.7 cm). In this case, I was very confused by the style of the salt shaker, it is very similar to the Russian one ... but with a Dutch sword ... and unfamiliar marks, one of which is a sailboat. I have never seen Dutch products in this design. As far as I understand now, the sailboat is a mark owned by Hendrik Hooykaas Schoonhovens 1874-2008.

With great respect, Elena.

Return to “Dutch Silver”