JWD or TWD Spoon

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
SilverSurfer
contributor

JWD or TWD Spoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

The spoon is a c.1800 Scottish Oar Pattern, though without any embossed or incised drop, 9 1/4 inches (23.5 cm) in length, 65 grams in weight, and is obviously made from hand-hammered sheet, showing a number of small folding separations, including the typical long one down the middle of the underside of the stem. Again, thanks to anyone who might be able to identify this maker.

I think it is script "JWD" or "TWD". Does anyone recognize this mark? TIA!

SS
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SS,
Do you think there is a possibility of it being Scottish or English provincial? Oar pattern is appeared fairly late in America, but the mark style is, generally speaking, 1st third of the 19th C.

Regards, Tom
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, Tom, for your consideration. I tend to think the spoon is American and not Brit provincial due to these facts, in increasing order of importance: the engraving is a monogram and not a crest, the finial is rather thin, there are no other marks, not even provincial pseudo-hallmarks, other than the maker's mark (which is either double struck or an overstrike, I think the former), it is constructed of hand-hammered sheet showing small but numerous folding separations, and there is no demarcated drop, the junction of the stem and bowl is completely smooth. None of these items is conclusive in and of itself, but taken all together seem to point to an American origin in my opinion. The Scottish Oar Pattern in America seems to have been a none-too-popular transition from Old English to Fiddle Pattern, about 1800-1810 or so? The hand-hammered sheet would argue for an early date, but the lack of an embossed or engraved drop would argue for perhaps a later date (1820 or so?) when American makers decided to "drop the drop". Another item in favor of an earlier date is the shape of the stem, very straight from the bowl to the swell at the finial, not a continuous curve. Just a strange spoon made by an occasional silversmith, I guess. Thanks again, any other ideas?

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: JWD or TWD Spoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

What the hay, here's #3 for the New Year, another old, unidentified maker's mark. Might something emerge from the cobwebs? TIA for any enlightenment!
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Your mark image is very small and difficult to read. That said, it may be John Wheelwright Davis, working in Newburyport c 1820 and later (c 1825) a partner with Abel Moulton there.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, wev, for your update. Unfortunately, my web search did not turn up any maker's mark for John Wheelwright Davis by himself. Perhaps my mark is all that's available? As deeply struck as it is, it is very well rubbed, and what you see is what you get, i.e., I don't think I can take a better shot of it. After all these years the spoon is buried with a number of its brethren in a back corner somewhere, so it may be some time before I can locate it to try for a better photo. No rush, though, it's been nearly eight years so far! Thanks again.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I found this mark in the Wintethur collection database attributed to Davis.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, wev, for the update. Is there graphic representation of this imprint available for viewing? TIA.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, wev, that indeed is the mark.
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Hey team,

Just to throw another possible into the mix. This is very similar to the mark identifed as Bermudan Silversmith, Joseph Dill. Although this appears in the text as only a possible attribution, they are similar to this spoon in being oar pattern.

The maker's mark is quite different to most punches for Bermudan Silversmiths, but these photos and attribution come from Bermuda's Antique Furniture & Silver by Hyde.

Cheers, Ben.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Inaccurate guesswork.
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Hi wev,

Would you agree it appears to be the same mark?

Are you saying the three spoons found in Bermuda were all by John Wheelwright Davis and misattributed by the two authors?

Ben
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Yes and yes.
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Thanks, I'll note that in the book. :)

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”