Date of Madam Morris nut tray Whiting Sterling

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
populous38

Date of Madam Morris nut tray Whiting Sterling

Post by populous38 »

Hi Guys
I wonder if anyone can help; I have identified six small nut trays/bowls I have as Whitings Sterling silver, however, I am trying to find the date that they were roughly made.
I have looked on line, including this forum, but a lot of the information seems difficult to interpret. The mark looks like an early mark and I have seen some the same dated 1908 online. I'm not sure how they got that date. It seems the line was first produced in 1891. It seems that Whitings started adding a date identifier in 1905.
The mark shows what appears to be a griffin with an W. The griffin is not in a cartouche. The number under the word STERLING is 1065. I'm wondering if they are late 1800's or is it just impossible to tell. Without a date letter, are they pre- 1905 or am I completely wrong. Hoping to be educated.
Appreciated as always.
Gary
populous38

Re: Date of Madam Morris nut tray Whiting Sterling

Post by populous38 »

sorry guys, forgot the picture of the item
Gary
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
See here:
http://www.silvercollection.it/USASILWHITING.html
Sequential number can help. Being essentially design numbers they may refer to the first year when the pattern (design) was introduced and if successful, was produced even decades thereafter. But I am just guessing, comparing with the practice of registered numbers in Britain.
Regards
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The 'Madam Morris' pattern was introduced in 1909 and its design is typical of the period - date codes were not always stamped...

~Cheryl
populous38

Post by populous38 »

Hi guys. Thanks. Is there a book or something for this type of American silver or specific makers. I thought you could find everything online but I'd drawn a blank with the specifics of these nut trays.
Appreciated.
Gary

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”