Sterling or coin mark with lion.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
levrier0

Sterling or coin mark with lion.

Post by levrier0 »

I am trying to figure out the maker of this piece of silverware, it’s marked with a S on both sides and in the middle lion facing left.
Top and bottom marks are shields with 6 dots. I found this with a lot of Bailey & co silver but can’t figure this one out. Any help would
Be greatly appreciated ! -Thanks.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Sterling or coin mark with lion.

Post by Aguest »

:::: If you have an image of the entire piece of silverware it might help to figure out the country of origin :::: At first glance is seems like something made in Colonial India the way the hallmarks imitate authentic English hallmarks and the way they are spaced in a pattern often found on English creamers and teapots. ::::: Possibly Chinese export silver hallmarks which also sometimes imitate authentic English hallmarks. ::::
levrier0

Post by levrier0 »

Little bit late but thank you for your reply, here is a image of the whole piece.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Bailey & Co was associated with George Sharp, but I can't find any George Sharp hallmarks like these hallmarks, how could this be George Sharp? ::::

::::: Do you think the handles are solid, or are they hollow? ::::::

::::::::::::::: Mysterious. ::::::::::::::::
levrier0

Post by levrier0 »

The handles are hollow, they have a seem on the inside. Not sure if it is by him, it was just a coincidence all the other pieces were Bailey & Co. But i am not ruling out a colonial maker!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Whoever made it is clearly trying to establish a connection to the British Sterling Silver Standard of 925/1000 (as opposed to the lower standard coin silver 900/1000). :::::::: The placement of these 5 marks is extremely traditionally English, you see this placement on the bottoms of English creamers and bowls and teapots all the time. ::::::

:::::: Curiously, it seems that Sharp was trying to associate his silver with the sterling standard circa 1855:

:::::: "From this information, we can infer that the extra lions that appear about 1855 are associated with the sterling standard, not George Sharp. This is confusing as they are the same lion marks that Sharp used when he went out on his own. But as Bailey's superintendent, Sharp was responsible for the silver made with Bailey's coin mark as well as the sterling marks. It was all Bailey's silver." :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::: I knew I had seen a very similar design to this creamer before: This creamer & sugar bowl set is by George W. Sheibler & Co. :::::::::::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::: George W. Shiebler began manufacturing in 1876 with a team of 5 highly-skilled employees. ::::::
::::::::::: Could the "SIX DOTS" symbol represent the team of George and his 5 employees? ::::::::::::::
::::::: I can't find any evidence that Shiebler made silver for Bailey & Co but all this is interesting :::::::

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”