help find the maker of this 1839 German sugar Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Breezybay

help find the maker of this 1839 German sugar Box

Post by Breezybay »

Hi I trying to find the maker of this 1839 German sugar or trinket box it is dated 1839 and monograms
the box is 5 1/2 in long 4 in wide and 4 in high I can not find a makers mark anywhere I have seen some boxes on the web sort of similiar and they all have hallmarks ,to me it looks sterling ? thanks for any information
Aguest
contributor

Re: help find the maker of this 1839 German sugar Box

Post by Aguest »

:::: The fruit on the top might be a representation of an "Etrog" which would make this an "Etrog Box" ::::
:::: You can find examples of 19th century silver Etrog Boxes from Germany ::::
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, without any engraving that links this to Jewish ritual it is mere wishful thinking. If this is German then Sterling is out of the question, as this was almost unheard of in Germany at this time. I am not sure there are no marks. What about these scratch-like markings left and right of the engraving ? Obliterated marks ? Badly struck marks ? New and better close-ups might tell more. Regards Bahner
Breezybay

Post by Breezybay »

Hi I have carefully looked over the box with a magnifier and found no other markings , my grandmother put a note inside the box saying this german sugar box belonged to my grandmother's (her name) mother, family name Voight. buffalo NY . what does the monogram letters look like? thanks
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

For me the monogram looks like HK.
Regards silverfan

regards

Return to “German Silver”