Is this German silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Is this German silver?

Post by AllSeasons »

I came across this item with peculiar marks that I cannot decipher. The seller is not sure, either, but gave me permission to ask around a bit. The seller believes it to be German 14 Loth, based on the marks. I think the mark looks more like a 13 than a 14, but that's just me. The item has not been tested for silver content, so I'm not sure if it's indeed silver. So all that to say that I'm at a complete loss. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here're the images. Thank you in advance.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Is this German silver?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think I can read Greek word for Athens in capital letters: ΑΘΗΝΑ.
I also remember that loth standard in Greece was discussed here long time ago.
Reagrds
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
I think I can read Greek word for Athens in capital letters: ΑΘΗΝΑ.
I also remember that loth standard in Greece was discussed here long time ago.
Reagrds
Thank you! Are you referring to this old thread by any chance?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38472

The seller found a very similar one for sale on eBay, but unfortunately I can't post the link due to forum rules. You can still find it by searching for "Classical Revival Medallion Footed Vase German 14 Loth Silver 1850" on eBay.

I'm still not convinced that the 14 is 14 Loth, but I guess the only way to find out for sure is to test it. Unfortunately, I do not have the object.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

You have the correct link where another example of silver was discussed.
This is the maker Л.А. (L.A. Lambda, Alpha) and Ancient orthography for Athens (ΑΘΗΝΑΙ).
It was made mid 19th century, i. e. before the introduction of millesimal fineness, meaning they could have decided to use the standard from their country of apprenticeship.(Just an idea how Loth standard was adopted, because there are identical examples in countries bordering Austria- Hungary at the time). 

Regards
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

I posted the spoon by G. Ligieri on September 25, 2014 and I had it tested. Look last post, it was 875/1000 silver.
Regards silverfan

Return to “German Silver”