12 Loth German spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

12 Loth German spoons

Post by AllSeasons »

Again I'm coming to the forum for your expert opinion on these 12 Loth German spoons. There're 6 spoons in total. I'm fairly sure about 5 of them; the remaining one I'm not too sure about. The 5 I'm relatively sure about are from Frankfurt, I believe. I'm not sure about the maker; I believe it says "MOT". Assay lines are also present. The one I'm really not sure about could be from Erfurt, or it could be plated. The maker is "Gellschalk", I think. Your expertise would be very much appreciated.

The images are below. Thank you in advance.

Theoderich
contributor

Re: 12 Loth German spoons

Post by Theoderich »

It is good that you turn to this forum with your question, because your assumptions are far from reality. First of all, I would be interested to know if you think the five spoons are from Frankfurt. There are about 2000 cities in Germany, more than 100 of which had an eagle in the city coat of arms. But the eagle on your spoons is special because it's holding something in its claws. Frankfurt had used 13 lots, not 12 lots. The single spoon has an E as an older male letter. The hallmark is the crescent with the 12 and was used in Lüneburg in the 19th century. There was a Georg Ludewig Gottschalk there.

To the five spoons, look here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29225&p=76477&hili ... sen#p76477
AllSeasons

Re: 12 Loth German spoons

Post by AllSeasons »

Theoderich wrote:It is good that you turn to this forum with your question, because your assumptions are far from reality. First of all, I would be interested to know if you think the five spoons are from Frankfurt. There are about 2000 cities in Germany, more than 100 of which had an eagle in the city coat of arms. But the eagle on your spoons is special because it's holding something in its claws. Frankfurt had used 13 lots, not 12 lots. The single spoon has an E as an older male letter. The hallmark is the crescent with the 12 and was used in Lüneburg in the 19th century. There was a Georg Ludewig Gottschalk there.

To the five spoons, look here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29225&p=76477&hili ... sen#p76477
Wow, I was way off base, LOL! Thank you for the information.

Return to “German Silver”