Augsburg, 17th century – early 18th century - Silversmith I.W. ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
anikopol
contributor

Augsburg, 17th century – early 18th century - Silversmith I.W. ?

Post by anikopol »

I recently visited (one) of the houses in which the famous French writer Balzac lived, and which is today a museum in Paris.

A silver object is exposed with the below note (translated) :

“Wiederkomm that belonged to Balzac, end of 17th century – early 18th century […] with Augsburg hallmark and mark on the unknown silversmith I. W.”
That mention surprised me : I have not a precise knowledge about German silver, and very little documentation about it, but as far as I know Augsburg silversmiths and their marks for 17th and 18th centuries are well known, notably thanks to Seling's books.
I think that some members of that forum may help in order to “give back” that silver work to a named silversmith, and possibly make the description of that object updated by the museum.
My question is :
Do you know name(s) of a/or several silversmiths from Augsburg, active during end of 17th century – early 18th century, and whose mark was “I.W.” ?

(sorry, since it is a museum piece I do not have pictures of marks so far – if some members of the forum with documentation/knowledge in Augsburg Hallmarks are interested in solving this “mystery”, I could contact the museum and try to convince them to provide me with pictures that I could share with you)

Thanks
anikopol
contributor

Re: Augsburg, 17th century – early 18th century - Silversmith I.W. ?

Post by anikopol »

hope that the image will appear in this post :
https://imgur.com/a/VZg6al1

Return to “German Silver”