German 800 silver lady's riding boot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

German 800 silver lady's riding boot

Post by AllSeasons »

I just acquired this small German 800 silver lady's riding boot with a spur. Previous owner said it's a vase, but I guess it could just be decorative with beautiful and ornate repousse work. Not sure if it comes in a pair or not. It measures 4.75 inches high, 3 inches long at the toe, and 1.5 inches wide. I'm able to make out the "800" mark on the bottom (on the left), along with what appears to be the crescent moon and crown on the right. The other two marks I'm not familiar with, and could not find in the database. I think it's rare, since I've never seen anything like it in my long, long 9 months of silver collecting (sarcasm). I kind of bought it on a spur of the moment (no pun intended) without doing much research, which is not what I usually do. So I'm having to do the research afterwards. Tssk, tssk ...

Anyway, here are some images. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: German 800 silver lady's riding boot

Post by Sasropakis »

The style looks very much like Hanau silver (you can find similar items with Google) but unfortunately the (pseudo) hallmarks are rather worn. Could bigger one could be the crowned face used by Gebrüder Dingeldein: https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you for the reply. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure it's the crescent moon and crown on the right, which is the standard German mark after 1886, so I'm not sure if this is Hanau. But it could still be marked in the style of Hanau with the other 2 marks. The marks are unfortunately pretty worn. If indeed crescent moon and crown, that would place this item somewhere after 1886, though not sure exactly when.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what this item was used for? Previous owner said vase, but I think it may have been a match safe.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Yes, it looks to me that those are the German marks (crescent moon and crown) used from 1886, but Hanau makers have used them too so those marks don't exclude Hanau. The item might be intended to be used as a vase but match safe could be equally valid purpose. Or just a decorative piece.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

That's really cool if it's a stirrup cup! This is the first time I had even heard of stirrup cups, so I definitely learned something new.

Any thoughts on when this may have been made?

Return to “German Silver”