Sterling pot (?) from Hanau Germany

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Sterling pot (?) from Hanau Germany

Post by AllSeasons »

I'm coming across quite a few interesting German items lately. This one I have absolutely no idea about - I don't even know what it is. The seller says it's a bun pot? I don't even know what a bun pot is, since I don't bake, assuming it has anything to do with baking to begin with. Also, it weighs a whopping 66.35 ounces (1.88 kilograms), which is very heavy for its size (as seen in one of the images below). This makes me a little suspicious, thinking it may be weighted, plated, or somehow not 100% sterling.

On the back, it's marked "MADE IN HANAU GERMANY" and "STERLING." This marking seems very strange to me. This is obviously more modern, as it doesn't use the crescent and crown, or the city and Loth marks, yet the seller says it's a museum piece. It does have nice patina, though.

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for your help.

amena
contributor

Re: Sterling pot (?) from Hanau Germany

Post by amena »

Filing it a little under one foot and putting a drop of acid on it will do no harm and will remove all doubts.
Best regards
Amena
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

amena wrote:Filing it a little under one foot and putting a drop of acid on it will do no harm and will remove all doubts.
Best regards
Amena
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm not in possession of the item - I haven't purchased it yet.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Perhaps a bun warmer sometimes referred to a biscuit box, had no warming device inside. Instead, it was placed near the hearth and turned frequently so the biscuits could be kept warm by the fire. The box containing the tea cakes or hot buns was then brought to the tea table where it was a handsome addition to the tea service.
Silver plated
Height: 10.5 in. (26.67 cm)
Width: 9 in. (22.86 cm)
Depth: 6.50 in. (16.51 cm)
for more information see:
http://www.silvercollection.it/dictiona ... armer.html

Peter

Gratitude: 1stDibs
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

oel wrote:The bun warmer sometimes referred to a biscuit box, had no warming device inside. Instead, it was placed near the hearth and turned frequently so the biscuits could be kept warm by the fire. The box containing the tea cakes or hot buns was then brought to the tea table where it was a handsome addition to the tea service.
Thank you. Is this item an example of a bun warmer?

Also, it seems to have the mark "K/M" between "Hanau" and "Germany." Does anyone know if that's a known mark?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I think it is A/M for Hanau am Main.

Trev.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, absolutely, this is a/M for Hanau am Main. Regards, Bahner
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Why is Made in Hanau a/M hand engraved ?
Sterling and Germany are punches (marks).
Regards
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:Why is Made in Hanau a/M hand engraved ?
Sterling and Germany are punches (marks).
Regards
Thank you for noticing that. That was also a question that I forgot to ask. The word sterling just seemed a little out of place to me, as it didn't seem to go with the rest. I'm wondering if this is an export piece, since the markings are in English, but there're no import/export marks. Maybe the importer stamped the word sterling on it?

Return to “German Silver”