German hallmarking mystery.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
pb4sc

German hallmarking mystery.

Post by pb4sc »

Hi All,
I have a issue that I cannot seem to solve. I have this plate that my mother gave me about two years ago.

My mother in law passed away, and while going through her stuff, my wife found this plate.

I was really surprised when I saw the exact same Cherubs sitting on the log, on my mothers plate. As I looked on eBay I saw a few others with the same design. So I am guessing that the design was popular enough to replicate across the years.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from my research I found that the first one was made by Kaser + Walter who were in Pforzheim in the early 20th century. The Schallmayer mark was for T. Schallmayer who was the retailer in Munich.

The second one from my mother in law, is the one I am having problems understanding. It is pre 1886. The B in the shield mark, stands for Bamberg. However, I see a mark next to it, that I cannot find. I thought it was the 800 silver marking, but from what I read in the website, those marks were numbers. This looks like three flowers, with something beneath it. Can anyone shed any light on this? or correct my wrong information.

Any information that anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Re: German hallmarking mystery.

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It was made by B. Neresheimer & Sohne, Hanau,Germany.
Pseudo marks can be seen here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

(Eagle over three flowers,mark number s513 under B. Neresheimer & Sohne in the above link.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

pb4sc

Post by pb4sc »

I can't thank you enough AG2012. I got thrown off track with the B when I saw it under Bamberghttps://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_b1884.html

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Phil

Return to “German Silver”