Pair of chandeliers - mid 19th century

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke*
contributor

Pair of chandeliers - mid 19th century

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

A pair of chandeliers with a height of 58 cm and from the mid 19th century. There are two marks with the '13' silver content mark and a 'F' mark which I think could be the makers mark. As there are only these marks I was thinking they would probably be German due to the varying assay system in the small German states during the 19th century. Any possibility to define the origin of the chandeliers and if so would they be German?

Regards,
Juke
Juke*
contributor

Re: Pair of chandeliers - mid 19th century

Post by Juke* »

Just noted that on the other chandelier there is a 'L' with the '13' silver content marks. Thereby I think these 'F' and 'L' marks are just for ensuring which pairs belongs together?

I therefore understand well that it might be difficult to pinpoint from which German city they would be from. My questions now is more is it common that silver items in Germany in the 19th century were marked only with the silver content without any makers mark? If so was this the way also for bigger and more valuable items? Would there be any other middle European country were this was the case also?

Return to “German Silver”