Help identifying this maker please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chelsea98

Help identifying this maker please

Post by chelsea98 »

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure it is Scandinavian, so if it isn't, please excuse me posting in this forum and I'll pop it wherever it needs to be. Thanks in advance!

Bahner
contributor

Re: Help identifying this maker please

Post by Bahner »

Hello, suspect Hanau pseudo marks and a possible German origin. Neresheimer made similiar objects. We might need a more detailed pic of the marks left of the two crowned letters. Are these marks or just scratches ? Regards, Bahner
chelsea98

Post by chelsea98 »

Hi Bahner,

Thanks for your reply. For a long time I thought it was Berthold Muller but the marks didn't add up. I'll see if I can get more pics, but if you right click on the pic and open in new tab, you can increase the image to 300% ( hold "command' and then "+" on a mac) which should give you a much clearer idea of them.
chelsea98

Post by chelsea98 »

You can actually get to 500% by increasing the image size. So, just to the left of the left mark, the G under the crown, it's scratches. However, above those scratches is another stamp and it looks to me like a capital letter A in a lozenge. I believe it's all genuine and not pseudo as it was bought at either Christies or Sothebys a couple of decades ago (though that doesn't mean they can't make errors).

Thanks again.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Google search "christies hanau silver" found similar stag sold in 2013 and it's described "MARK OF NERESHEIMER, HANAU, CIRCA 1901". Hanau silver or pseudo hallmarks aren't equal to a fake so I don't see any reason why Christie's etc. wouldn't sell them unless wrongly described as genuine renaissance or baroque items.
chelsea98

Post by chelsea98 »

Hi,

Thanks for that. Yes it's a very similar example, shame the marks aren't available to see on the Christies page.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Mark 4, the additional "A-in-Lozenge", is an Austro-Hungarian import mark which can be seen here for example: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56780&p=183548&hil ... 94#p183548

Mark 1 looks to my eye to be a multiple attempt at a "12" mark for Loth, but that could be a pseudo useage for purposes of antiquing the set.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Mark 2, Crowned "G", presumed to be that listed as [s514] : https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

Mark 3, Crowned "S", not shown (may surface elsewhere).
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, is the height 14 cm ? Regards, Bahner
chelsea98

Post by chelsea98 »

Many thanks for all your replies, they've really helped.

Bahner, it actually stands about 35 cm high as you can see below.The antlers were originally gilded as there's remnants around the base of them, so I changed them in photoshop to see how they would have been. I may be getting them re gilded anyway.

Return to “German Silver”