German glass holder.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

German glass holder.

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
I cannot find this mark ,under German hallmarks,is it there some where and I have missed it.
Looks like may be and easy ,or common mark?

Regards Guido.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: German glass holder.

Post by dognose »

Hi Guido,

That is a Dutch Duty mark.

See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Trev.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Many thanks Trev
Great work,thought it was an A, I keep telling people about how good this forum is. Not one of my most precious objects,still interesting to know it has traveled the world and ended down in Australia.

Many thanks Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
In spite of eternal meander décor, the shape of the handle indicates German Jugendstil (Art Nouveau). Contrary to pure French Art Nouveau style (wavy lines and highly stylized floral elements), German Jugendstil often used geometrical patterns, as seen here. But again, the handle is obviously inspired by Art Nouveau, therefore the glass holder can be dated before the Great War.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
Many thanks for the info, Great work
It seems I have a knack ,or liking for this style ,You may be interested in this box,Bought ,in Lucca Italy,
Even though not silver in the Jugendstil -Art Nouveau style ,Made by Erhard &Sohne ,in there 1905 catalogue , engraved inside on edge for Olga Wien 1910
Even Mucha engraved on top section ?
I think a great example of this period, Would have original been gilt on all the bras (now worn in many areas) tempted to polish it ,but will leave it as is.

Regards Guido.
Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
Also made key for box, Copy of Erhard key. The other small key an original. Tricky job about a full days work.

Regards Guido.

Return to “German Silver”