Koch & Bergfeld - Silverplate or Solid Silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Koch & Bergfeld - Silverplate or Solid Silver?

Post by hpidaves »

I have a set of 6 dinner forks (8") and 1 place or serving spoon (8-1/2") and I am interested as to whether they are solid silver, and if so, what silver content. According to my research, the marked used -- "KOCH & BERGFELD" preceded by a key, was used up until 1870. That date means that it could be silver plated.

Any Koch and Bergfeld experts out there?

Thanks,
Dave

gsmoggy

Re: Koch & Bergfeld - Silverplate or Solid Silver?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Dave
Not sure if plated or solid, I have this info on the company,from "Art Nouveau and Art deco Silver" Annelies Krekel-Aalbersse 1989.

Koch &Berfeld,Bremen ,Germany .Founded in 1829,Executed 1900-10 designs by Hugo Leven ,Albin Muller and Henry van de Velde and in the 20sand 30s by Gustav Elsass and Bernhard Hotger.

Not sure if this info is of any use.

Regards Guido.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the key is the old Bremen city mark and was in use until the end of the 1880ies. It represents a fineness of 12 Lot (750/1000 fine). So I think this is silver made before the new German hallmarking laws became effective as of January 1st, 1888. Regards, Bahner
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There is another small mark on the right (my red arrow).
What is within the rectangle ? Can you identify it under higher magnification ?
If there are numbers 12 or 13 then it`s fineness in Loth.
But if the number is higher, e.g. 90, then it`s silver plated.
The style, pattern is mid 19th century, though, i.e. before they introduced silver plating.
Regards
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Hello,
I believe that mark is actually a scratch/imperfection. It certainly does appear to be a mark, but under 30x magnification it is an irregularly shaped imperfection/nick/scratch. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out because it is extremely tiny.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to “German Silver”