Very,very small mark,Ratzersdorfer, box?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Very,very small mark,Ratzersdorfer, box?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
I have come across this minute mark on my box,recently arrived ,on the side where the lid goes on.
Images not that clear,very difficult to get good image,a friend took these through lenses of very powerful microscope.
the best I can do.
Is this just another Ratzersdorfer mark,or something else? as it has his mark on base strange to have mark here,unless this mark has something to do with the lid (not marked)
I have done rough sketch of mark ,not sure if the small marks are letters,or crosses?
I have not seen this mark so far if it is his mark. Has anyone seen this mark before?
Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Very,very small mark,Ratzersdorfer, box?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like a letter in Gothic font (e.g. C, E, G....).
Does not resemble any documented Austrian mark.
This location is rather common for marks on small boxes.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello AG
Many thanks great work,looks like you may be correct,about the gothic letter.What"s you theory if any about this mark?do you find it strange it has not come up before? As I said I am amazed how small it is I cannot read it properly even with 10x magnification. It looks like there are two letters on either side near the top of the arc.
I have asked Dr Rossberg at the MAK in Vienna ,about this mark,it will be interesting to see her reply.

You would think the mark maybe in one of the many books (I have one still coming) written by Dr Waltraud Neuwirth,on Viennese silver .

Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Check out the Gothic E Belgian import mark see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56004&p=179915&hili ... um#p179915

Peter
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It really looks like Belgian import mark suggested by Peter (there is small star on the right side, too).
We are more familiar with French import swan mark, but import marks are common on European silver.
Import marks never disclose the country of origin, though.
Again, this mark does not resemble any Austrian mark.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello again AG
I have looked at the mark again with a 12xloupe ,it looks to me like it might be a R and H.
I have done another rough sketch ,

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Many thanks Peter,great work solving the puzzle so quickly ,I was a bit worried about the mark felt it was a bit strange being there.

Also many thanks AG. My mark may differ slightly ,to the other image I saw but it looks like that is what it is.

Fantastic,great work. ignore my latest drawing of the mark. I did not see the posts when I loaded the image.

Regards Guido.

Return to “German Silver”