Silver Tureen / Bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
wearecured

Silver Tureen / Bowl

Post by wearecured »

Hello. I bought some silver and silver plate items at auction and one of the items is this very interesting bowl / tureen that I need help identifying. The marks under the one side has a crown, a lion (looks like the Glasgow lion) and then an anchor. I did a few tests like holding a magnet to the piece and putting some ice in it to see how quickly it got cold and it passed so I think it is silver. Just haven’t seen silver with all three location marks. Can you help?

wearecured

Re: Silver Tureen / Bowl

Post by wearecured »

Trying the images again.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
When I wanted to be sure I did acid test after filing deep enough to reach base metal ( where it cannot be seen, trying not to damage the piece too much).
Cannot help with this combination of marks, but I doubt it`s silver.
Regards
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Ignore the testing ideas at this point...these are typical pseudo-marks by electroplaters. If British made, the anchor might suggest Birmingham. Crowns were no no's by law in the late 1890's and after. That leaves the encircled raging lion as the best clue to a maker. [There are no regulated or accepted standards marks here for silver finess, so the likelyhood of plating work is
very high in such cases.]

Let's start with Charles Howard Collins of Birmingham around 1890- and see what Trev. et al think: http://www.silvercollection.it/electrop ... rCdue.html

The basic mark is also on this site in the Silverplate Marks menu. Start at the Pictorial subsection and look down.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A conclusion is not drawn, but the rampant lion was trademarked by C.H. Collins & Sons (advert.link) and the firm engaged in exporting (from a 1921 list): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14729&p=143943&hil ... 6c#p143943

Return to “German Silver”