Help identifying Maker's Mark on Tea Glass Holder

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ddt

Help identifying Maker's Mark on Tea Glass Holder

Post by ddt »

I have 2 tea glass holders and based on searching this site, I believe they are German Silver Markers with 800 + crescent and crown, but I have been unable to match the maker's mark in searching the site. Also, if the maker's mark is not identifiable by anyone, is cleaning the markers recommended to improve clarity of mark? If yes, any particular type of method or product? Any help is appreciated.
ddt

Re: Help identifying Maker's Mark on Tea Glass Holder

Post by ddt »

I did find what appears to be a possible match for maker mark - Vereinigte Silberwarenfabriken, but my sample is still very unclear. Hope this helps you help me!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is Vereinigte Silberwarenfabriken AG - Düsseldorf. The mark is not always struck the same way and slightly different variants of the mark are seen.
Regards
ddt

Post by ddt »

Thank you AG2012 - whomever you are!! This is great news. I will learn more about Vereinigte Silberwarenfabriken AG now and perhaps solve the mystery of their origin. Many thanks!
ddt

Post by ddt »

I am not having much success in learning about Vereinigte Silberwarenfabriken AG - Düsseldorf and their history. I'm interested in learning when the tea holders may have been created. Can anyone point me to a good source? Thank you!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello and a Happy New Year all around ! Unfortunately there is no source on the history of the VSF - yet. A book on its history and the history of the other silverware companies owned by various members of the same family (Bahner) is in the making and should be completed this year (2021). Legally the VSF (a shareholding company) still exists, but production of flatware and silverware stoppend in 1966. Since then the VSF just administrates the real estate it aquired over the years of its existence. The style of this holder suggests a date of production around 1900-1905. A designer is not known. - To put it in my native German dialect (don't worry, most Germans will not understand it either): Lükscher, blief gesonnt ! (Folks, stay healthy). Bahner
ddt

Post by ddt »

Dear Bahner, Happy New Year to you and everyone and wishes for everyone to stay safe and healthy in 2021 !
I'm very grateful for your prompt and informative reply as I was continuing to research VSF, and even though I'm 1/4 German, I don't speak or read it and have found some of the internet results in German. Your post has saved me many hours of perhaps fruitless searching so I'm very grateful. I appreciate your insights into the history of VSF and production of these specific pieces and look forward to the book. Many thanks.

Return to “German Silver”