Hanau silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mintymin

Hanau silver?

Post by mintymin »

Hi everyone
I am hoping you can help me with something that I bought recently
I got a glance at the hallmarks and thought they may be British (I could only make out the lion) but after getting it And giving it a clean I realise they are nothing like English hallmarks
Could they be Hanau pseudo hallmarks?

I don’t really understand about them, even after reading the things you have on here. It tests as silver but I can’t see that any of these marks say that it is.I love the piece and from what I have read, am I right in thinking it could possibly be from the 1930s but made to look older?
Any help appreciated as always
Best wishes to you all for the festive season
Amanda

mg]https://i.imgur.com/ZjQofxB.jpg[/img]
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Hanau silver?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The lion passant (guaranteeing sterling silver), Q and F are parts of an English hallmark - Chester's date letter Q for 1899/1900 and F signifying an import. BM is Berthold Muller, a known importer of Hanau silver. Perhaps someone else will recognise the other marks. The Chester town mark is missing; this normally happens when the marked piece is part of a larger assemblage.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The maker is the firm of B. Neresheimer & Sohne, Hanau. B.Muller is well documented importer of their silver to Britain.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

Scroll down to Neresheimer: your mark is s498. Never expect perfect match with Hanau marks: most often one identical mark is enough for positive identification.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It is a chatelaine (a decorative belt hook), so it must have been made in late 19th century and when imported in 1899 was still fashionable to have it fastened to the belt with several appendages.
mintymin

Post by mintymin »

Wow you guys are so great. I have so much to learn and I do it from your knowledge
Thanks again and keep on doing what you do because you have created such a valuable resource with this forum.

Return to “German Silver”