Baroque 17th/18th century Sweetmeat / Tastevin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

Baroque 17th/18th century Sweetmeat / Tastevin

Post by legrandmogol »

I very recently acquired this beautiful little bowl ( 5.75" handle to handle, 4.5" without and it stands 1.5" tall) which I have seen described as a sweetmeat dish or tastevin. The interior is still gilt as the outside edges. It only has one mark that I cannot identify. Any assistance on its actual use, its maker, and its origins would be appreciated. The mark to me looks like a branch with 2 leaves and the letter I under it

Aguest
contributor

Re: Baroque 17th/18th century Sweetmeat / Tastevin

Post by Aguest »

When I researched 18th century Sweden, I came across pieces of silver which had only the town hallmark and not a makers mark. :::
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

It's possible but if this piece is actually a tastevin it is less possible as I don't believe there were any Swedish vineyards at the time
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I'm trying to think of a country that would only have a town mark present and not a makers mark, and it's difficult. :::
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I am fairly certain this is more likely 17th century than 18th and Germany being just a loose confederation of kingdoms, duchies, city-states, etc there is a good chance it is from there as a lot of the marks are not fully or even marginally researched. I was just hoping someone recognized it.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I thought Germany and also the Italian City-States at first as well, however I have owned 18th and even 17th century pieces which had makers marks on them, the picture makes it a little difficult to figure out, I'm not even quite sure what the hallmark is supposed to depict. :::
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Yeah sorry about that. even with the piece on hand, it's difficult to make out the mark. I tried to add different angles of the mark to see if it would help.

Return to “German Silver”