Assistance with Interesting German Beakers

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Assistance with Interesting German Beakers

Post by dartsil »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can assist with these pair of German silver beakers, firstly they are 835 grade, crescent moon and crown can be made out but the last part of the hallmark I can not determine, its not stamped well so unsure if anyone can determine from the image.

Also the bases, these would appear to possibly be some sort of coat of arms? if so does any one know what? 13.8.79 marked on both bases which I am sure will be 1879.

Would there be a particular reason why they fit together like this?

Very weighty as the pair weigh in at 298g and stand 74mm tall each.

Any help on some or all of my queries would be appreciated.

Regards,
Colin

AG2012
contributor

Re: Assistance with Interesting German Beakers

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
They are called double beakers, cups Doppelbecher (also Brautbecher - bridal cup as a gift for the couple to be married).
The date they married.
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Thanks to both of you for your assistance, most appreciared.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I like them.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

I am under the impression they are from 1979, not 1879.
The marking system with crown, moon and finness in thousands was introduced 1888. The date indication is 76, very likely excluding an event in 1876 for which they were used. Could be a jubilee referring to 1876, maybe 25th anniversery or so, then 1901. However it is likely there would be a corresponding reference.
From the style the 1970ies are a good match, looks like the work of a highly skilled craftmen making everything by hand in the 1960ies or 1970ies.
Maybe other members can identify the makers mark?

Kind regards

Jörg
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, agree with a dating of 1979 rather than 1879. The style of the engraved date also points at this. Beakers like these were and are being produced by almost every maker who made and makes Hanau style silver. The maker's mark, if the mark on the right hand side is that of a maker and not a retailer, is a little fuzzy and I cannot identify it. Better closeups might help. Regards Bahner
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

... a closer look at an enlargement of the second mark seems to show the gothic Neresheimer "N", which would make perfect sense. Regards, B.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Identical beakers from elsewhere described as:
A double barrel beaker made of 13 Lot silver (812.5 / 1000), all around with festoon and grape decoration. A coat of arms with a crest on the bottom. Internal gilding.From the period of historicism around 1870. Manufacturer: Neresheimer, Hanau
Ein Doppel-Fassbecher gearbeitet in 13 Lot Silber (812,5/1000), umlaufend mit Feston- und Traubendekor. Im Boden je ein Wappen mit Helmzier. Innenvergoldung.
Aus der Zeit des Historismus um 1870. Hersteller: Neresheimer, Hanau
Why crescent and crown ? Possibly the same reason as British registration numbers indicating the first year of production and if the product sold well, the production continued for decades. If so, 76 would be silver wedding anniversary in 1901. Just guessing, but far more likely than made in 1876 and later remarked with crescent and crown.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The style of engraving has already been mentioned as modern, meaning it may refer to 1979 but beakers are made in late 19th or early 2oth century with later engraving. That happens.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
This type of double barrel beakers are still made by Neresheimer today;
See:
https://www.neresheimer-silber.de/

Peter.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Based on the link given by Peter:
There must be slight difference when compared with 19th century 13 loth examples but one can judge only with beakers in hands, not based on images.
Meaning, they are 1979 unless proven otherwise.
Regards
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, just some additional info. Recently I saw a small German beaker ("Faustbecher") with the mark of wholesaler Arthur Otto (founded 1903 in Cologne, Germany) and punched with a 13 in a square for the fineness. Which makes me believe that even if one sees e.g. a Neresheiner N in combination with a 13 one cannot be sure about the actual date of production. It may have been quite recently. Regards, Bahner

Return to “German Silver”