Renaissance style Aphrodite salt spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jok23

Renaissance style Aphrodite salt spoons

Post by jok23 »

I found these salt spoons, each marked with a 13 loth mark to the back of the bowl. I found one reference on the internet to a spoon of this identical design in the Solingen Klingenmusuem, but from a photo of a book entry (not sure which book), describing it I think as 16th century Renaissance, with Aphrodite/Venus terminal. Presumably these are 19th century copies? Does anyone have the full reference to the original spoon in the Museum. And a more accurate indication of age if possible? Or any other information would be greatly appreciated.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Renaissance style Aphrodite salt spoons

Post by AG2012 »

Renaissance style figural spoons were widely reproduced.
Your set is almost definitively 19th century made in German speaking countries,less likely in Scandinavia where Loth standard was also used.
Everything is based on logical conclusions and statistical relevance;full set of 16th century spoons surviving 500 years together is impossible.
Loth standard was used until second half 19th century when it was replaced with millesimal standard in several European countries.
Honest, evidence based description would be ``Continental, most likely German speaking countries, second half 19th century`` (or even later if pseudo mark 13 Loth was used in historical silver)
Regards

Return to “German Silver”