Darmstadt Silver Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MGArgent
contributor

Darmstadt Silver Mark

Post by MGArgent »

I have what I believe are pre-1886 German/Austrian spoons.

My initial research indicates the following:

12 = 750/1000 fineness

Rampant lion within an oval? = Darmstadt/Hesse?

The rampant lion within an oval was supposedly used in Darmstadt as early as the 1700s, however the engraving style looks like it is from a newer period. Perhaps the spoons were crafted in the 1700′s and the engraving added in the 1800′s?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Darmstadt Silver Mark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think they are typical Biedermeier Spatenlöffel (mid 19th century).Darmstadt lion mark is sometimes difficult to date,therefore the style is important.
Regards
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Yes, they do have a similar style to the spoons you suggested. Thanks for helping to date these, much appreciated!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, agree with the dating, not sure about the city mark. In all three cases it looks badly punched and I am not even sure if this is a lion or a horse or a lamb. I am thinking along the lines of the Frankonia/Thuringia region of Germany. Regards, Bahner
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

A would rather thinking in the East-European region, somewhere in the old Romania. This type of engraving was fashionable there.
Best regards!
Krisztián
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Very interesting! Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't even considered some of these suggestions.

The engraving does have a resemblance to another Romanian spoon in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34902&hilit=romania&start=20

However if this style was widely used across several regions, it may not help to narrow the area down any further?

Return to “German Silver”