Is this a Hamburg spoon and who is the maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Is this a Hamburg spoon and who is the maker?

Post by SilverK »

I have this rather nice spoon which I think is probably German and possibly Hamburg, but it doesn't have a city mark for confirmation. The clues are as follows, though I may have misinterpreted them entirely:

1) The reverse of the terminal is prick engraved with an early owner, 'Hinrick Mamero 1836' (not shown), so I searched on-line and found a Heinrich Mamero 1831-1892, born in Wilhelmsburg. Of course, this may not be him at all, but it shows the name was used in Germany and in the region of Hamburg.

2) The possible maker seems to read 'Lange' and whilst I couldn't find a silversmith of that name as early as 1836, the forum's encyclopedia for Hamburg shows that one Frederich Johann Heinrich Lange was given a concession in Hamburg for the duration 1848-1865. I wonder then whether my Lange is the same fellow, his father or another family member.

Hopefully someone on the forum is able to dig up more detail for me and, if it is Hamburg, explain why it doesn't have the city mark.

The spoon itself is rather nice, obviously of good quality, with what looks like marriage symbolism engraved to the underside of the bowl (with an abbreviated version to the stem). Perhaps someone is able to give me some background to this sort of engraving, e.g. to confirm or otherwise that this is a marriage spoon, whether this is a common form of engraving, etc.

As always, anyone help is welcome.

Silverk.

Theoderich
contributor

Re: Is this a Hamburg spoon and who is the maker?

Post by Theoderich »

I find a similar makersmark in the book of H.Stirling #886

Thomas Jensen Zittorius Lange in Tondern
*1794 from Tondern
citicen 13.11.1820
oo 1821
+1864

But it is possible, that Stirling was wrong in this case.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Theoderich,

Interesting. The spoon also has a 12 Loth mark on it, so yes he may be wrong about where Lange was working, if this is the right guy. Are you able to attach a picture of the mark for comparison?

Many thanks,

Silverk.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

SilverK wrote:Hi Theoderich,

Interesting. The spoon also has a 12 Loth mark on it, so yes he may be wrong about where Lange was working, if this is the right guy. Are you able to attach a picture of the mark for comparison?

Many thanks,

Silverk.

the mark in the book is also in the bok from Böje. But it is noch the same mark, but similar.
I do not know any 12-Lot-mark on an object from Tondern.

Return to “German Silver”