Please help with hallmarks of a set of spoons and forks, 15 Loth

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SpoonLover

Please help with hallmarks of a set of spoons and forks, 15 Loth

Post by SpoonLover »

Hello,
I have a set of 7 spoons and forks (3 spoons, 4 forks). Atop each spoon has a figure of a musician with a strange musical instrument. Each spoon or fork about 8.5" long.

Also I have two Hanau apostle spoons of similar design (two left spoons on the picture).

As can be seen, my reflection is different on apostle spoons from Hanau (two left spoons) and on the musician spoon from the set. It happened, I believe, because, if the bowl was hammered, it produced the subtle variation of thickness. So the reflection wold be more vague. In general, the bowls of the spoons could be hammered from the bar, before rolling mill was invented and became to use, i.e. before 1730 - 1750. Based on that info particular, I believe, my set of musicians was not made in Hanau. But probably, Hanau makers had similar set of the old spoons in their collection.

Each spoon or fork in the set of 7 musician, has three marks.

1) I believe, 15 Loth.

2) Two other marks, which I can not identify

Here are the detail images of the musicians

Would be very appreciate for the help with the identification of hallmarks on the musician spoons and forks . Thank you.
Bahner
contributor

Re: Please help with hallmarks of a set of spoons and forks, 15 Loth

Post by Bahner »

Hello, believe what we are seeing here is a 13 rather than a 15. 15 would be highly unusual for small decorative pieces like these. Cannot read the other marks, though I suspect the smaller one to be an import mark of some kind. Regards, Bahner
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

In Hanau under ["Pyr" and "Basket"] might be the origin of one mark. Then in here we find a sample set of "13" coupled with what might be "Pyr": viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52292&p=163726&hil ... au#p163726

I know you don't expect Hanau, but that may still be the trail.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello
It seems to me ,that all you spoons may have been made by the same maker?
the spoons seem to be nearly identical design from the base to near where the figures start.
I am not sure if this has been noticed.

amazing spoons ,wish they were mine .

Regards Guido.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I believe the triplet of gargoyle-like birds appeared on another piece where the finial was a female figure holding a crescent shaped object upwards. It wasn't fully described in that old thread so might be hard to locate. But they might have identified a maker that could be related to the specific design element. Of course, some Hanua elements could have started with one work shop and moved through a succession.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Right here all the time as latest entry: viewtopic.php?f=22&p=177804&sid=e4f5cf8 ... 00#p177804

Return to “German Silver”