German? Dognose Rattail spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

German? Dognose Rattail spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

Not sure but I believe this piece is German or from somewhere in the southern Baltics. Any help is appreciated. The mark appears to be crossed lions rampant. The maker's mark is 3 letters, Only the letter C is clear, I think the next letter is an L but the bottom letter is blurry.

Theoderich
contributor

Re: German? Dognose Rattail spoon

Post by Theoderich »

nice spoon.

it is a raly surprise for me and I have no idea with such a double lion hallmark

the pattern of the spoon looks like a spoon of Franken (Bavaria) area about 1730

I know no town in Germany with such a city ​​coat of arms

Makersmark looks like (CE/K)

can you prove the fineness? it is 13 lot (812,5/1000) or 12 lot (750/1000)?
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks for looking. Sadly I am not able to get an accurate purity but it looks like 750/1000 by my eye.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

It's really odd that Theo has never seen such a hallmark. It seems to me that the surface of the spoon is a bit strange.
Could you post an enlargement of the "tremolierstrich"?
Thanks
Amena
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

That's the best I can get without getting more blurry with my iPhone.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Well, I go back to saying what I said about papal state fork and spoon
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54445&p=173434&hili ... nd#p173434
hallmark seems cast rather than struck and worn and tremolierstrich seems cast rather than traced with a chisel. Only you who have the piece in your hand can understand if they are cast or not.
Best
Amena
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Don't worry, I am more than confident that the spoon is genuine. In-person you can see the evidence of its hand construction and inside the bowl you can see evidence of the stamping of the marks coming through. They only appear cast because of the poor quality of my pictures and from years of wear smoothing the marks down. Also, my collection of 17th-18th century silver pieces has grown substantially over the years and I am more than familiar with most fake and real objects now. Rather than clogging up the website with everything I buy I only share the pieces I cannot identify. I appreciate your help advice and help always though.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi legrandmogol,
Rather than clogging up the website with everything I buy I only share the pieces I cannot identify.
There's no chance of the website being clogged up and we will always be delighted to see your finds if you will share them with us.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I think I will take you up on your offer. It's not really substantial but it feels large to me. I am going to try to post items I haven't posted before but forgive me if I forget
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

That's all I have at the moment. After Thursday I'll share my collection of 18th-century English Dinner knives and Dutch Birth Spoons. I don't have any pictures on hand though. I think that's all of my 17th-century pieces though except for a Nuremberg cup I have a coming. My collection is fairly heavy on Norwegian, Dutch (mostly already posted pieces so I didn't post them again), and German pieces. That's because there are not a lot of people who can identify them in the US so I can usually get them cheaply.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi legrandmogol,

Many thanks for your efforts so far. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say the sharing of your collection with us is very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing your further items.

Trev.

Return to “German Silver”