ID? 20th c.(?) Sheaf of Wheat or Laurel Branch (?)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RSK

ID? 20th c.(?) Sheaf of Wheat or Laurel Branch (?)

Post by RSK »

My next attempt to "stump the experts" is a little silver kiddush becher (ritual wine-cup used by Jews to make a benediction over wine on the eve of Sabbath and holy days), from the home of the same Jewish businessman in Mainz as the pieces I've shown in other posts, this week.

Here is a scan of the hallmark:

And here is a scan of the cup itself, the design of which looks like Jugendstil to me:

I'm pleased to see that the administrator has added some of the marks I've shown, with the identifications others here provided, to the list stored on this Web site; it's nice to know that the scans will help others identify pieces, in the future.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi RSK,
This one is already there, see Hugo Bohm at ->
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, Tom
RSK

Ah, so it is!

Post by RSK »

Yes, that does look similar, and it's probably right, because one other piece I was trying to identify looks like Jakob Grimminger, also in Schwäbisch Gmuend (a capital "G" within a six-pointed star).

Now that I look at it, I can see it is probably the same mark, or a variation of it...do you know what the mark represents? The one to which you referred me looks more floral than mine, but I think you're right, and that it's Hugo Bohm. I thought mine looked a bit like a laurel branch or an ear of wheat, but the one already on the Hallmark page looks almost like a rather elongated artichoke...I don't know what to make of it.

This is really quite a bit of fun...I never really noticed hallmarks before, and I'm enjoying finding out about them! I'm so grateful for this forum!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, in print the mark of Böhm (not Bohm) looks like laurel, so I guess this is what it is. In 1913 Böhm retired and sold the company to Wilhelm Schwab, who continued production under the name of Schwab & Co., still using Böhm's laurel-mark. I guess Your piece was made around 1907/10, so it is really still Böhm. Best wishes. Bahner
RSK

Post by RSK »

I have had to move the images in this earlier post to a new location:

Return to “German Silver”