NEED HELP IDENTIFYING MARKS ON SILVER BOWL?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
luvantiqs

NEED HELP IDENTIFYING MARKS ON SILVER BOWL?

Postby luvantiqs » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Can anyone identify the marks on this silver bowl or identify the country of origin? There are 3 marks, the first appears to be a crown, the second appears to be a double eagle or fleur-de-lis and the third appears to be a letter Z. I have searched this site but I cannot find anything with all of these marks together. Thank you.
Image<P>Image

Bahner
contributor

Postby Bahner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:36 am

Hello, [color=red]IF[/color] this is German, then it is most likely a set of Hanau pseudo marks and the piece was made recently. Best wishes, Bahner

Doos
co-admin

Postby Doos » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:38 am

Hi,

The handles are typical for a Groninger (Northern-Netherlands) brandy bowl. However the marks are not Groninger, so probably pseudo marks indeed.

blakstone
contributor

Postby blakstone » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:56 pm

Definitely Hanau pseudomarks. I've cross-referenced hundreds of these and can say with reasonable certainty that yours are those of Ludwig Neresheimer - one of the most prolific Hanau "antique style" manufactories - and date from the first quarter of the 20th century. The "Z" by the way, is sideways; it's an "N" (nothing to do with Neresheimer but in imitation of 16th - 18th century Nuremburg).

Return to “German Silver”