Help with german box marked 1663 with hallmarks.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
needy

Help with german box marked 1663 with hallmarks.

Post by needy »

Need help with this box has a monogram maybe CS looks like raised silver letters on inside of top. It has 1663 with what looks like a partial Hanau city mark. It also has what looks like a cat, lion or griffin in a shield in the inside bottom of box as well as maybe the makers mark of ms. Any info would help.
needy

Re: Help with german box marked 1663 with hallmarks.

Post by needy »

Does anyone think that it looks a little like a Luneburg lion in a shield?
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

looks a little bit like Bielefeld - but it looks not like 1663
needy

Post by needy »

Hello Theoderich,
Thank you I will research further.I have been cleaning and researching box hallmarks further. In particular the one I thought looked like MS after cleaning and staring at for a long period it may look more like 14 5l or 14 1/2. So I am trying to determine if this my be a purity lodig mark for like Norway? If this would be a purity mark maybe the lion in a shield is an assay office mark. I m considering this box my have been made in german Hanau and imported into Scandinavian country or vice versa. While cleaning the hinge seems to be made of gold with silver pin. Here is a hand drawing I have made because inside hallmarks hardtop get a camera lens close enough.
needy

Post by needy »

Hello Theoderich,
I found your post on the A. Holle 12 loth item with chevron hallmark in forum. It is very near exact to 18th century Hanau chevron. This is the first time I have seen the castle with the shield chevron in archway. Thank you for this info.
needy

unknown hallarks?

Post by needy »

Has anyone seen any hallmarks marked 14 1/2 and a standing lion facing right in shield? I will show box and other hallmarks that may be a Beilefeld or partial Hanau chevron symbol so I thought probably german made with wavy diamond design I have noticed as engine turned previously. Any info appreciated.

Return to “German Silver”