Help with Monk mark on soup ladle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
embarcadoro

Help with Monk mark on soup ladle

Post by embarcadoro »

On this site I found that they used Monk marks on Munich silver...did they use them in any other countries? What does the "21" signify? The name looks like Y. H. Johansen, not too German sounding. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Francais

Re: Help with Monk mark on soup ladle

Post by Francais »

It is Munich if you visit Theo's excellent site you will see the same mark.
http://silberpunze.1x.de/index.php?sw=Muenchen
Needless to say the 21 stands for 1821. The maker is not listed, but if you give permission to Theo to post your photograph, someone might track him down.
Maurice
embarcadoro

Post by embarcadoro »

Thank you Maurice, I appreciate your help and advice.
embarcadoro

Post by embarcadoro »

Update....I found the maker on Theo's site, it is G. (George) St. Johanser. Thanks again for your help Maurice!
Francais

Post by Francais »

Always more fun, when do it yourself.
Maurice
embarcadoro

Re: Link to Theo's site or help with silver reference book

Post by embarcadoro »

Francais wrote:It is Munich if you visit Theo's excellent site you will see the same mark.
http://silberpunze.1x.de/index.php?sw=Muenchen
Needless to say the 21 stands for 1821. The maker is not listed, but if you give permission to Theo to post your photograph, someone might track him down.
Maurice
Does anyone have a link to Theo's site? I located a mark on his site back in 2014 and would like to re-access it.

If not possible, would someone know of a particular silver marks reference book that would show the maker: G. St. Johanser of Munich, Germany?
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, due to recent changes in European regulations on the online use of personal data the site of Theo is no longer accessible. You may want to send him a personal message via this page. There are several publications on Munich silversmiths, all in oldfashioned printed form. The most recent ist the enlarged and updated: Matthias Klein. Münchner Goldschmiede bis zum Ende der Zunftordnung 1868. Wappenbücher, Meisterlisten, Markentafel. 2020. It lists St. Johannser marks (don't have that, though). As to the time after 1868 I am not aware of a book on modern Munich silver marks. Regards, Bahner
embarcadoro

Post by embarcadoro »

Thank you Bahner for your reply and help.

Is Theo still present on this site?

I will think about the reference book, thank you.

Return to “German Silver”