Wulsten, Raths, R mark on possible Danzig captains spoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Wulsten, Raths, R mark on possible Danzig captains spoon.

Postby Essexboy Fisher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:35 pm

I formally owned a probable Danzig made “serving size” spoon and hopefully below is a composite picture of the marks, the spoon, and maybe some of the history of the spoon.
Before I sold the spoon (on a pension you keep some but you have to sell some as well), I did a little research on the marks using this forum and was happy with it being a Danzig silver spoon made by Wulsten and mid 1800’s in date.
The “dot engraving” on the finial I saw as defacement. Subsiquently through this forum I found out about Captain spoons from the Baltic area. Does any one believe this may have been a captain’s spoon? I read the name as “J.J.Hein” and wonder if this was a Danzig ships chandler or was the engraving added at a later date?
In addition I think that the set of maker’s marks may rekindle the discussion I noted in an earlier Wulsten/Raths thread from 2010. Unfortunatly some of the images listed in that thread are not available now. Do the marks here add anything to the Maker and Assayer argument. The italic “R” stamp on this spoon is very similar to but not identical to the one listed by the contributor “Jackk”.
I hope I’ve got a few things correct for this topic but I look forward to getting some more knowledgeable comments.
In case a person with naval interest finds this post, the spoon came to me unknowingly, from an auction not far from the North Sea port of Newcastle.

Image https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ntmz ... N+COMP.jpg

Scotrab
contributor

Re: Wulsten, Raths, R mark on possible Danzig captains spoon

Postby Scotrab » Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello Fishless,
Sorry for the late answer. I had to return home and look up some references.
J. F. Hein (not J. J. Hein) was indeed a merchant/ship's chandler/dispatcher in Danzig at that time. I know I have some information but unfortunately I can't find it at the moment. I do remember that it was not much. I think that the records have been probably destroyed in WW2, as probably was with those for Gustav Möller in Königsberg. The maritime museum Kapiteinshuis in Nieuwe Pekela in the Netherlands has a large collection of captain's spoons, among which there are three from J. F. Hein, with maker's mark Wulsten for Gottlieb Ephaim Wulsten and assayer's mark W for Carl August Winkelmann. They are all three a little younger than yours. Wulsten in italics is shown in von Czihak (p. 88, no.541) with some information about the maker. By coincidence von Czihak mentions also that the maker's mark is often found with the assayer's mark italic R in a square, as in your spoon, and he indicates that the assayer is Johann Jakob Raths, elder 1829-1833 and 1836 (p. 46, nr. XXXVII (535)).
If it can be assumed that the engraved initials IME are those of the captain who received the spoon, perhaps he can be traced using the Lloyd's Captains' Register. Note, however, that unless JME was still sailing in 1851 he won't be in the register, as its records begin n 1869 and goes back to 1851 for the captains still sailing in 1869.

Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Postby Essexboy Fisher » Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Thank you again Scotrab for the in depth information on that spoon. I like spoons that tell you someting, even an old worn silver tea spoon telling you how many times it has been used over its life. I wish I had known 2 years ago what I know now about captain's spoons because I think it would still be in my collection.
Fishless.

maryklich

Postby maryklich » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I have two of these Wulsten serving spoons, with J F Hein in Danzig pricked onto the handle. One is a little dinged as they are quite soft. Are these very common? Admin edit read forum rules They are a lovely pointed shape, quite unusual.

Posting Requirements

Return to “German Silver”