German silver double beaker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
nikka0202

German silver double beaker

Post by nikka0202 »

Hello!
I am working on some German silver and have found myself confused between actual city marks and Hanau silver marks. They seem to be similar.
I have scoured the forum but have a few items that I am not sure on.
At first I thought this double beaker contained the Ausburg city mark, I cannot read the makers marks... but now I see (after reading several posts) that it very well could be Hanau.
Any help/knowledge is greatly appreciated. I am quite confused.
Thank you!! Victoria

MGArgent
contributor

Re: German silver double beaker

Post by MGArgent »

Hi Victoria,

I had a look through "Der goldschmiede Merkzeichen" by Marc Rosenberg and while I didn't come across any good candidates for a maker's mark with that particular shield shape, the Augsburg pinecone mark does resemble some of the earlier marks from the 17th century.

It is my understanding that most genuine Augsburg pieces are usually marked with only a) maker's mark, b) town mark, and c) tremolierstrich, and that Hanau imitations often have several additional marks. Your item appears to only have the 3 typical Augsburg marks which may be a good sign that your item is not Hanau.

If someone has the Seling reference book, they may be able to find the maker mark seen on your item.
nikka0202

Re: German silver double beaker

Post by nikka0202 »

Dear 'MGArgent',

Thank you for your reply. The marks are very confusing to say the least!
I appreciate your time and will see if I can find any copies of the referenced books.

Kind Regards,
Victoria

Return to “German Silver”