10k gold signed Exquisite simulated sapphire ring?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
swirldrops

Post by swirldrops »

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to assume this is a simulated sapphire? Maybe glass or something? The ring is marked 10K GTR and Exquisite inside the band.

Thanks!

Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

It is impossible to judge from a photo what kind of a gemstone it is.
I advise taking it to a jeweler/appraiser who is trained in gemmology (preferably someone with a GIA or FGA degree).

Although there are some people here trained in gemmology, this is a silver/gold marks forum.
swirldrops

Post by swirldrops »

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply and my apologies if my post was inappropriate for this forum. I will certainly keep that in mind next time.
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

While this is a gold and silver forum there are occasionally questions concerning the stones set into low-karat rings; questions which do not arise in 18k for example, as one usually has a better idea what one is buying or receiving when it is more costly.

Most "sapphires" "rubies" etc. set in 10k are not synthetic corundum but appropriately tinted spinel.

Here is how you tell the difference:

corundum (sapphire, ruby) is birefringent. Its crystal is so constructed (has grown naturally) that it refracts (breaks) the light differently when viewed along two axes. Spinel is monochroic, because of its crystal construction it passes through the same light in all directions. No matter from which angle you look at it it will be the same colour.

look through the top of the stone in a bright light (without shadows, if possible), then turn the ring over and hold it against the same background in the same light. If the colour is paler, you have synthetic corundum; if it is the same, it is spinel.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”