Questions about marks on a gold brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sspeedstreet

Questions about marks on a gold brooch

Post by sspeedstreet »

Great site. I do appraising as part of my retail jewelry business and the markings on vintage/antique pieces have always been a weak area for me.

The markings on this piece (circled in red) seem to indicate French 18K no older than 1919 according to your French Hallmarks page. Can anyone shed some light on the accompanying star and C?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Beautiful brooch, I've just double checked in Tardy's Poincons d'Or and, you've assessed it correctly, the mark is for .750 gold and used after 1919.
The star C mark is the maker's mark, it is badly stamped, in a clear stamping we'd see the entire diamond shape of the mark with another easily discernible letter to the left of the C and probably another symbol above the letters. This maker's first initial may be a "J", but I cannot identify the mark.
I think there is a strong possibility that the piece may be a marriage, the frame and back do not really match the Art Deco styling of the pave scene. Normally, you'd see something of this caliber and style set in platinum. Also, the findings appear to be American, the catch certainly is, and the poor craftsmanship of the frame, with its visible solder joints and thin rolled frame, doesn't at all match the truly excellent work of the stonecutting and setting on the front.
That said, please keep in mind that it is only the opinion of a silver guy, not a fine jewelry person. The only opinion I can express with surety, is that it is a beautiful item.
Regards, Tom

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”